Working with MS VSS off-line

<REPOST alert!>

I've asked these questions on the NI forums: Question 1 Question 2

</Repost alert>

The scenario is:

I'm using LV 8.2 with most of the code inside Microsoft Visual SourceSafe where the database is located on the network.

This works OK (sometimes LV doesn't update the representation in the project explorer)

But now when I take my laptop off-line and want to open a VI/project LV wants to connect to the SCC-database, this gives an error -2976, but another window (search for vi) is blocking my error window.

screenshot.PNG

So I can't click the 'continue' button. But if I click the 'Stop...' button nothing happens :throwpc:

This means that I can't work at home...

Can somebody reproduce this? A) with VSS B) with another source control system

In LV 8.0 I just got error -2976 for every VI but after a dozens clicks I could work.

Now question 2 is a minor inconvenience. The 'Getting started' window is modal! Why, what if i open the 'getting started' from within a project or VI. In this case I can't go back to the VI/Project without closing the getting started window... :headbang:

Any thoughts?

Ton

Terrible scenario, Ton. You've got to be able to work off-line.

I'm using Subversion for SCC, but I DO NOT tie it into the LabVIEW SCC funtion. I do all of the Subversion check-in/check-out outside of LabVIEW with the TortioseSVN API. I'm sure VSS can work the same.

-James

Terrible scenario, Ton. You've got to be able to work off-line.

I'm using Subversion for SCC, but I DO NOT tie it into the LabVIEW SCC funtion. I do all of the Subversion check-in/check-out outside of LabVIEW with the TortioseSVN API. I'm sure VSS can work the same.

-James

Yes it can, but I like the fact that LabView does. The less programs I use the better.

I only turn on VSS when I make a new release (share and branch), import a library into a project (same share and branch)

But I found a workaround, disable SCC. Restart the PC and then load the items.

Could you be so kind to endanger your setup and check if the same error happens with subversion/turioseSVN

Ton

Ton,

I'm not sure TortioseSVN is recognized by LabVIEW.

Under Tools->Source Control->Configure Source Control, I have no choices for Source Control Provider Name. All of the options are disabled.

..and I'm also not too keen on endangering my setup.

Sorry,

James

Tortoise SVN is a stand-alone client for Subversion and does not have integration with LabVIEW (they don't have a plugin that supports the Microsoft SCC interface). There is a plugin written by PushOK that allows working with SVN from within LabVIEW.

• 2 months later...