Traditional Daq in 7.1 disappeared when 8.2 installed

dthomson

I've searched various forums and haven't been able to find a discussion of this yet. (I did post it on the NI forums yesterday, but I wanted to get the feedback of this group as well.)

After installing 8.20, I finally went back to a 7.1 project and tried to open it. It uses Traditional Daq, and the relevant sub-vi pallette has been completely removed! Is this a known limitation? Did I do something wrong? Can it be avoided? Is there a fix?

I tried running the Device Drivers CD from both the 8.20 distribution and the 7.1 distribution, but neither was able to replace the 7.1 LV VI's. The 8.20 CD says it has LabVIEW support for Traditional Daq, but it doesn't expand further to mention which versions are covered.

Upon further investigation, I realize that the Traditional Daq VIs have also been removed from 8.0! Only 8.20 has Traditional Daq VIs!

I consider this unacceptable and inadequate. I keep numerous versions of LabVIEW alive on my development machines. I have to to keep maintaining various projects of various ages. The current situation is going to make this very hard!

Regards,

Dave T.

I've searched various forums and haven't been able to find a discussion of this yet. (I did post it on the NI forums yesterday, but I wanted to get the feedback of this group as well.)

After installing 8.20, I finally went back to a 7.1 project and tried to open it. It uses Traditional Daq, and the relevant sub-vi pallette has been completely removed! Is this a known limitation? Did I do something wrong? Can it be avoided? Is there a fix?

I tried running the Device Drivers CD from both the 8.20 distribution and the 7.1 distribution, but neither was able to replace the 7.1 LV VI's. The 8.20 CD says it has LabVIEW support for Traditional Daq, but it doesn't expand further to mention which versions are covered.

Upon further investigation, I realize that the Traditional Daq VIs have also been removed from 8.0! Only 8.20 has Traditional Daq VIs!

I consider this unacceptable and inadequate. I keep numerous versions of LabVIEW alive on my development machines. I have to to keep maintaining various projects of various ages. The current situation is going to make this very hard!

Regards,

Dave T.

Hi Dave,

See this thread form NI Dev-Exchange were I tried very hard not to cry. :headbang:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...d=22001#M171440

To properly support applications in multiple versions, you will need unique machines or you will have to get clever with booting and backups.

I have frozen one machine at LV 7.1.

I have another that is for LV 8+.

Sorta looks like a set of big speakers. :thumbup:

Ben

Well, an NI employee gave me the recovery procedure on the NI forum: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...mp=true#M207507

At least it is possible to recover, assuming you haven't done anything in 8.20 yet that recompiled any Traditional Daq VIs. But the recovery procedure seems to me to be unnecessarily arcane and perhaps undocumented. I didn't see any warning abou this when I installed. Perhaps I missed it, but this seems like a major concern to me.

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Well, an NI employee gave me the recovery procedure on the NI forum: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...mp=true#M207507

At least it is possible to recover, assuming you haven't done anything in 8.20 yet that recompiled any Traditional Daq VIs. But the recovery procedure seems to me to be unnecessarily arcane and perhaps undocumented. I didn't see any warning abou this when I installed. Perhaps I missed it, but this seems like a major concern to me.

Regards,

Dave

I thought of a possible solution to this problem last night. If the traditional DAQ vis were packaged as an openG package, you would have the ability to install them in any version of LabView that they could run. If it is as simple as copying the files from the 8.2 directory to the 7.x or 8.0 directories, an openG package would be easy. I don't use traditional DAQ (anymore), but I would be willing to help with this process. The only problem I can think of with this situation would be an NI Liscense agreement issue.

What do you think?

Chris

I ran into this same problem and the only real way to fix it is to install the oldest version, then copy up to any later versions of Labview on the machine, much like the threads you have posted. I think this is NI's way of saying this is legacy and you need to stop using it. Unfortunately, many of us are forced to support old code (I'm in the same boat).

By the way, the database toolkit seems to have a similar issue. I couldn't get the "complete" to work for me, as suggested in this article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/e73...6256fff0049a600

I had to manually copy it to each version. The "Complete" probably works if its the first time you've installed it, but I've had to uninstall and reinstall all my Labview versions recently due to a mishap with installing the 8.20 beta a few months back.