strange 8.0.1 behavior-runs when broken arrow clicked

Jon Sweeney

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

I was building a front panel for a subvi with a table and several enums on it.

When I tried to save it, the asterisk that indicates changes would briefly flash off and then appear again, no matter how many times I tried to save it,

PLUS one of the enum controls would occasionally dim (as if it had been changed and the changes had not yet been applied. But if I clicked on it, it would be okay again,

PLUS the Run Arrow became broken (possibly because of the dim enum).

When I clicked on the broken arrow, the vi started running and could not be stopped by the "Abort Execution" (stop sign) control or "ctrl-."

Turning on Execution Highlighting showed nothing; looking at the hierarchy window showed no green execution arrows.

I tried to close LabVIEW but got a neverending "Resetting vi" dialog.

I finally just had to abort LabVIEW using the task manager and lose my table changes.

This happened after a fresh reboot that I did, after noticing the save/asterisk problem the first time.

Befuddling. At least it hasn't happened again, yet.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone seen this behavior before?

I was building a front panel for a subvi with a table and several enums on it.

When I tried to save it, the asterisk that indicates changes would briefly flash off and then appear again, no matter how many times I tried to save it,

PLUS one of the enum controls would occasionally dim (as if it had been changed and the changes had not yet been applied. But if I clicked on it, it would be okay again,

PLUS the Run Arrow became broken (possibly because of the dim enum).

When I clicked on the broken arrow, the vi started running and could not be stopped by the "Abort Execution" (stop sign) control or "ctrl-."

Turning on Execution Highlighting showed nothing; looking at the hierarchy window showed no green execution arrows.

I tried to close LabVIEW but got a neverending "Resetting vi" dialog.

I finally just had to abort LabVIEW using the task manager and lose my table changes.

This happened after a fresh reboot that I did, after noticing the save/asterisk problem the first time.

Befuddling. At least it hasn't happened again, yet.

yes, i have seen at least the save/asterisk problem before, using 8.01 on linux. it appears after copying and renaming strict type definitions and the VI that contains these controls using a console. after loading the VI, the save/asterisk problem appears. a workaround that works for me, is to open the renamed type definition, change e,g the label and save it. the VI can be saved without any problems.

hope, that helps.

yes, i have seen at least the save/asterisk problem before, using 8.01 on linux. it appears after copying and renaming strict type definitions and the VI that contains these controls using a console. after loading the VI, the save/asterisk problem appears. a workaround that works for me, is to open the renamed type definition, change e,g the label and save it. the VI can be saved without any problems.

hope, that helps.

I could not reproduce that problem in either 8.0 or 8.2 in Linux using the steps you listed. This is what I tried:

1. New VI.

2. Drop numeric control.

3. Customize control.

4. Make the control a strict typedef

5. Apply changes.

6. Save both the control and the VI.

7. Close both.

8. Rename both

9. Open the VI.

When I opened the VI, it searched for the control. If I chose the new name for the control, the VI was "good" (no broken arrow) and the VI had a doc mod (the asterisk). This is correct behavior. If I chose to ignore the control, then the VI was broken and had a doc mod (also correct).

If you have another way to reproduce this problem every time then let me know.