what to do with my binary data

Hi all,

I have made an application that comes up with a set number of elements every second. I decided to log this data binary, starting with a u32 timestamp.

Each entry has a set number of bytes, as follows: U32, DBL, DBL, DBL, I16, DBL, DBL, DBL, DBL, I8, I8. A total of 64 bytes an entry. Each binary file can have an arbitrary number of entries.

I want to have Diadem 10 read this binary file and convert it to Diadem channels. I think I have to build my own parser via file>dat file>import via header, but I am not sure how to fill in these dialogs. Does anyone know of a good example, application note or have a good explanation on how to make this binary parser?

Thanks!

I create the binary files with Labview. Maybe it makes more sense having labview parse the files and save them as TDM data. Unfortunately I am not sure how to configure these express VIs either. :unsure:

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

I have made an application that comes up with a set number of elements every second. I decided to log this data binary, starting with a u32 timestamp.

Each entry has a set number of bytes, as follows: U32, DBL, DBL, DBL, I16, DBL, DBL, DBL, DBL, I8, I8. A total of 64 bytes an entry. Each binary file can have an arbitrary number of entries.

I want to have Diadem 10 read this binary file and convert it to Diadem channels. I think I have to build my own parser via file>dat file>import via header, but I am not sure how to fill in these dialogs. Does anyone know of a good example, application note or have a good explanation on how to make this binary parser?

Thanks!

I create the binary files with Labview. Maybe it makes more sense having labview parse the files and save them as TDM data. Unfortunately I am not sure how to configure these express VIs either. :unsure:

I suggest you could try to save your data to LVM file, DIAdem can read the LVM file, too.

• 1 month later...

LVM will definitely work for this use case. However, I would suggest using the TDM Streaming API and TDMS files (in older LabVIEW versions TDM and the Storage VIs). Both give you a better way of formatting your data in LabVIEW so it comes up in DIAdem exactly like you want it. That includes data types, names for channels and groups, and arbitrary descriptive properties.

Plus of course, the TDM Streaming API will rid you of having to deal with Express VIs :) . You might want to look at ./examples/file/plat-tdms.llb/TDMS - Write data (events).vi for some inspiration.

Hope that helps,

Herbert