programmatically create variants

Hi,

i am trying to programmatically create an array of variant which should be able to contain dynamic content.

Because I want to query specific data from that variant later on I need to name every item. I tried to do it with the SetTypeInfo VI but unfortunately it overwrites the data contained in the variant. Does anyone know another solution?

I'll attach a demo which demontrates this behaviour. btw. I left out the array in this demo.

cheers Heiko

Download File:post-6437-1161269090.vi

i am trying to programmatically create an array of variant which should be able to contain dynamic content.

Because I want to query specific data from that variant later on I need to name every item. I tried to do it with the SetTypeInfo VI but unfortunately it overwrites the data contained in the variant. Does anyone know another solution?

First off, the SetTypeInfo VI is expecting a Type Descriptor as input, not a data variant as you are intending.

Secondly, there is a wonderful option for what you are envisioning. It is using the Attributes of a variant. You can set a variant attribute by name and then retrieve it later by name in your program. And it is quite fast for 8.0 and up. Check it out.

post-1519-1161273138.png?width=400

First off, the SetTypeInfo VI is expecting a Type Descriptor as input, not a data variant as you are intending.

Thanks for the reply it brought me a lot of new ideas.

I already saw that get/set attribute stuff, but was not using it because initially i wanted to automatically serialize my wires using GetTypeInfo and a case structure to format the data into a string like this "name=value". So i though it would be the most elegant way if i could just recreate that wire with its name. But it seems that there is still no way of programatically naming wires during run time. :(

Anyway this variant attribute stuff looks like it is a good hack for doing 'item' => 'value' lookups (similar to hashes in perl). :thumbup:

cheers heiko