Caramel Machiato?

Chris Davis

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scary man, Scary...

I mean any time you can work in Lionel Richie into a short film, you've got it made...

:oops: ... somebody doesn't remember their cheesy 80s music - It's Whitney Houston, not Lionel.

Jaegen

I mean any time you can work in Lionel Richie into a short film, you've got it made...

I saw Lionel Richie live a couple of months ago (before you judge me - it was the last night of the proms in Hyde Park in London - he just happened to sing four or five songs :P ) and, surprisingly enough - he actually rocked the place! For those uninitiated with the proms (or The Sir Henry Wood Promenade Concerts presented by the BBC), it's a series of concerts in Albert Hall in London, and then on the last night they have simultaneous concerts around the UK and then everyone links up via sattelite at the end - Lionel was on just before the link up, and the crowd got quite upset when he finished and we switched over to what was supposed to be the big part of the night...

(actually, the crowd almost exploded when he sang - every heard a million drunk Englishmen and a couple of Aussies sing "Hello?" at the top of thier voices?!? :blink: )

Seeing this, I can't help noticing the parallels with this and my wife and I...

except that...

1) we are completely diferent

2) we are both non conformist

3) we were born on opposites sides of this Earth (approximately)

4) We Both Love Scotch, and really love the Good Stuff!!

Vive la difference, but don't also forget to enjoy the parallels!

That's what makes life :thumbup: !

-Pete Liiva

Seeing this, I can't help noticing the parallels with this and my wife and I...

My wife and I:

1) we were raised in completely difference environments (country vs city, religious vs hippy, calssical music vs Bob Dylan)

2) one of us is a conformist, the other isn't

3) we now live on the opposite side of the earth

4) I love Scotch (I'm in a JW Blue phase at the moment), she loves good tea, and with both enjoy a really good cigar (like those delicious Monte Cristo Especials from Cuba :) )!

My wife and I:

1) we were raised in completely difference environments (country vs city, religious vs hippy, calssical music vs Bob Dylan)

2) one of us is a conformist, the other isn't

3) we now live on the opposite side of the earth

4) I love Scotch (I'm in a JW Blue phase at the moment), she loves good tea, and with both enjoy a really good cigar (like those delicious Monte Cristo Especials from Cuba :) )!

Chris,

Sorry to hear about you and your wife living on opposite sides of the world, I can only imagine thats got to be rough one way or another...

JW Blue, eh? I've never quite had the fortitude to fork out the $$ for that scotch. Have sometimes been tempted, though. My wife and I are big fans of sigle malts from the island of Islay, particularly Lagavulin, Laphroig, and Ardberg. These three distilleries happen to sit right next to each other on the island. Back in 1997, my wife and I visited Laphroig sometime between Christmas and New Years Day, and got an excellent tour from the guy who was the general manager of the distillery. He was able to field questions from my wife (a PhD chemist) and myself (MS ME - more or less systems engineer) effortlessly. Friendly "bloke" to boot!

Take care,

-Pete Liiva

...big fans of sigle malts from the island of Islay, particularly Lagavulin, Laphroig, and Ardberg. These three distilleries happen to sit right next to each other on the island...

This just make me love LAVA even more, discussing scotch during working hours :thumbup:

Ardbeg is currently one of my favourites, and another great whisky from Islay is the Caol Ila (it is supposed to use the same peat as Lagavulin).

Otherwise I hope you have tried the double matured versions of Lagavulin and Talisker.

Time, say the islanders, takes out the fire but leaves in the warmth.

/J

Sorry to hear about you and your wife living on opposite sides of the world, I can only imagine thats got to be rough one way or another...

:D actually, I didn't make myself clear - we moved from Australia to the USA, so we're now on the opposite side of the world from where we started :)

JW Blue, eh? I've never quite had the fortitude to fork out the $$ for that scotch. Have sometimes been tempted, though. My wife and I are big fans of sigle malts from the island of Islay, particularly Lagavulin, Laphroig, and Ardberg. These three distilleries happen to sit right next to each other on the island. Back in 1997, my wife and I visited Laphroig sometime between Christmas and New Years Day, and got an excellent tour from the guy who was the general manager of the distillery. He was able to field questions from my wife (a PhD chemist) and myself (MS ME - more or less systems engineer) effortlessly. Friendly "bloke" to boot!

Ahhhhhhh - the singles from Islay :) My standard cabinet always has bottles Oban, Cardhu, Lagavulin and Talisker - all very different, and great for any mood! In fact, Cardhu is the base the JW use for their blends, and (if my memory serves me) they also use Lagavulin and Talisker as elements of JW Black(?) I remember a brand ambassador at a Journey of Taste once saying that drinking a single allows you to enjoy a part of Scotland, drinking a blend allows to to enjoy all of Scotland. I'm hoping to get oer to Scotland myself in the next two or three years to trek the Whisky trail - care to join me? ;) Remember: God invented whisky to stop the Scots from taking over the world!

:D actually, I didn't make myself clear - we moved from Australia to the USA, so we're now on the opposite side of the world from where we started :)

Oh, well that sounds much more reasonable, although having been a "married ex-pat with wife alongside" once myself (albiet for only 7 months) I did find that I missed being close to family and friends.

I'm hoping to get oer to Scotland myself in the next two or three years to trek the Whisky trail - care to join me? ;) Remember: God invented whisky to stop the Scots from taking over the world!

Who knows, two or three years might make that possible! Right now I'm working a space flight project that I predict is going to "slam me down to the mat" through most of 2007. My wife and I talk from time to time about revisiting Scotland, the UK, and possibly Ireland. We also need to stop by Belgium, as our older son was born there when I was an ex-pat there back in '97. He has got to see Gent sometime soon.

One last note on Scotch, another favorite of my wife and I is Ledaig, which is from the Isle of Mull. We haven't visited that part of Scotland, though. At least not yet!

Cheers,

-Pete Liiva

This just make me love LAVA even more, discussing scotch during working hours :thumbup:

Great to see that some of our members are refined :P You wouldn't think so based on some of the posts we've seen :)

Ardbeg is currently one of my favourites, and another great whisky from Islay is the Caol Ila (it is supposed to use the same peat as Lagavulin).

If it's the same peat then I'm up for it - it's that it's strong but also complex that wins me over - how much does a bottle of Caol Ila go for?

If it's the same peat then I'm up for it - it's that it's strong but also complex that wins me over - how much does a bottle of Caol Ila go for?

It costs less than Lagavulin, I found this online shop that sells Caol Ila at 44$ a bottle

http://www1.shopping.com/xFS?KW=caol+ila&x=0&y=0

If you ever go to Scotland, you must visit Islay. Me and my wife bicykled all over Scotland 10 years ago, and we both liked Islay a lot.

Whether it's due to the good whisky I don't know, but we had a really pleasant stay at a small Guest house close to Port Ellen. Kintra was the name I belive.

/J

It costs less than Lagavulin, I found this online shop that sells Caol Ila at 44$ a bottle

Good stuff - thanks for that!

If you ever go to Scotland, you must visit Islay.

You don't need to convince me of that :D Due to it's amazing whiskies (rich peats, clear waters and salty air - what a combination!), it's well on the top of my list!

http://www1.shopping.com/xFS?KW=caol+ila&x=0&y=0

If you ever go to Scotland, you must visit Islay. Me and my wife bicykled all over Scotland 10 years ago, and we both liked Islay a lot.

Whether it's due to the good whisky I don't know, but we had a really pleasant stay at a small Guest house close to Port Ellen. Kintra was the name I belive.

/J

Yes, I have to agree! My wife and I both found the Scottish to be very friendly, and perhaps the people on Islay even a little more so! We stayed at a B&B where we had some excellent home cooked meals! It was a little north of Port Ellen if I remember correctly. If I remember when I get back home I might look it up and post it.

If you go to Islay, I would suggest at least taking a short diversion to the opposite side of the penisula where you catch the ferry to go Islay and at least get a good view of the Isle of Arran, its a breathtaking view! We didn't have the time to see if it was practical to explore the island, as we had a 3 month old new born with us at the time, but if we go back we will probably see what is possible!

-Pete Liiva