Help on Choosing which hardware to use.

HarryEakins

I have a bipolar stepper motor with DCM8028 drive. I need to control it using labview using various inputs such as force sensors and microphones. For example i need labview to reverse the motor when the force meter outputs a voltage over a certain threshold and also i need a time to be recorded when the microphone senses a sound above a certain volume.

I don't know what piece of hardware will be able to handle all of these inputs and outputs, all i know is that the drive for the step motor requires a pulse train and 5V logic signals.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you

Harry Eakins

I'd start (and quite likely end) by looking at NI's M-series multifunction boards. You get several analog inputs for force sensors and microphones, counters to generate a pulsetrain, and static DIO to specify direction or control a power relay. You can even generate a pre-defined trapezoidal motion profile using the M-series' hw-timed DO capabilities. (Counters alone can ramp, but depend on software-timing for the effective accel/decel rate. If you also want to generate a precise total # step pulses, you'd really have your work cut out for you...)

-Kevin P.