vxWorks OPC server and Labview OPC Client

Hej Bjarne,

I don't know exactly if it is a solution for your problem, but a client

of ours is using MatrikonOPC Tunneler to avoid DCOM Security configuration

nightmares between the server and the clients.

Maybe this could also solve your problem in the client server incompatibilities,

and just use it as a proxy ?

Tom

http://www.matrikonopc.com/downloads/174/index.aspx

Hello Bjarne,

Accessing an OPC server on a remote computer requires configuration of the DCOM interface and this is - at least for me- not an easy task. There is a configuration white paper available on the OPC foundation home page. I remember that even this detailed white paper is not complete when the OPC server computer is not included in a Windows domain. The problem gets worse when the active user isn't an administrator. OPC is nice but very complex for a technology that is used by many developers who do not have the time to configure firewalls and access rights :-0

I didn't think it was possible to run an OPC server on a realtime OS like VxWorks. I'm not sure if this will solve your problem as I don't understand the problem you are describing. I only have tried it on Windows only platforms and without reconfiguring various DCOM objects and access rights it was impossible to use or browse any OPC tags on a remote computer. I've even had an OPC server that I could never access over the network, using it on the same computer was the only solution. A solution could be to create an extra LabVIEW process on the remote computer that uses the LabVIEW data sockets or a custom made TCP or UDP server solution. This was a workaround for a Linux LabVIEW solution I had in mind for a die hard unix customer.

I would say good luck. I hope you let us know if the solution of Tom L. works for you!

Venlig hilsen

Donald

• Like 1