Linking Ring Controls...

JStoddard

Hi Everyone. I'm finally just about finished with my labview program. It's been a fun ride.

I have a few little user interface things to clean up.

Currently my VI has a Tab on it, with 2 Tabs ... Tab 1 is for the "Testing" mode... has the graph and user selects which part to load etc etc...

Tab 2 deals with setting up the test conditions, and the general system parameters...

both have a ring menu drop down that the user can select which part they want to either (On tab 1) Run, OR (On tab 2) Edit.

I would like these two to be linked. It would be nicer if they were the identical control mirrored but what can ya do...

for example, if the user is testing part "Part 1" and switches to tab 2 i want it to be part 1, but then decieds to edit part 99, i want part 99 to be selected on the front tab as well..

Make sense??

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jason

I think I figured it out.

I knew i shouldn't be so quick to post this question.

It seems like the value property forces the text change as well...

So i can just watch each of the rings and if they aren't equal and i can figure out which changed, i can change the other....

Poof!

If you're using an Event Structure, this becomes very simple. Create an event that is handled by Value change on both ring controls. Wire the NewValue terminal in the event structure to a local variable (or value property node) for both controls. This solution would rely on both rings always containing the same Strings, but that's it. If you have other events tied to the Ring Value Change events, you can write to the Value(Signaling) property node and they will execute as well.

Currently my VI has a Tab on it, with 2 Tabs ... Tab 1 is for the "Testing" mode... has the graph and user selects which part to load etc etc...

Tab 2 deals with setting up the test conditions, and the general system parameters...

both have a ring menu drop down that the user can select which part they want to either (On tab 1) Run, OR (On tab 2) Edit.

I would like these two to be linked. It would be nicer if they were the identical control mirrored but what can ya do...

for example, if the user is testing part "Part 1" and switches to tab 2 i want it to be part 1, but then decieds to edit part 99, i want part 99 to be selected on the front tab as well..

You can have it be the same control... Just have one ring but instead of placing it "on" the tab, place it hovering "over" the tab. Then every tab sees the same control.

You can have it be the same control... Just have one ring but instead of placing it "on" the tab, place it hovering "over" the tab. Then every tab sees the same control.

You can do what Dsaunders is talking about by moving the control onto the tab by using the arrow keys on the keyboard instead of dragging it onto the tab with the mouse.

You can do what Dsaunders is talking about by moving the control onto the tab by using the arrow keys on the keyboard instead of dragging it onto the tab with the mouse.

Oh.. My.. God.

Perfect. No Code = Good Code! :D

So, I've done what you said... i haven't tested much with it, but the first thing I see is an ugly drop shadow... how do i get rid of that business?

Thanks!

post-7525-1169667547.jpg?width=400

....i haven't tested much with it, but the first thing I see is an ugly drop shadow... how do i get rid of that business?

It only appears at edit time. If you run the VI the shadow goes away.

The "ugly shadow" is only shown, when you just move an object over another object...

In your example the Select Part: Control is not placed in the tab control, it's placed over the tab control...

So if you wanne get rid of that shadow, you have to pick your control with the mouse, and move the control a little bit- then the shadow disapears.

:beer: