App. Builder Error 1 with Nested Libraries

ars_stowers

'm attempting to build an application that runs correctly in LabView and am getting the following error:

Error 1 occurred at Invoke Node in ABAPI Update Libraries.vi->ABAPI Dist Build LLB Image.vi->ABAPI Copy Files and Apply Settings.vi->EBEP_Invoke_Build_Engine.vi->EBUIP_Build_Invoke.vi->EBUIP_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid.

---

NI-488: Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller in Charge.

The issue, as far as I can tell, is in having nested libraries within my project. For some reason, the application builder has trouble with nested libraries. I'm including a project so that people can see what I mean, but I'll try to explain it too:

Project:

-Level 1 Library

---Level 1 VI

---Level 2 Library

-------Level 2 VI

-------Level 3 Library

-----------Level 3 VI

If I try to build an application from Level 1 VI or Level 3 VI, it works fine, but if I attempt to build an application from my Level 2 VI, I get the error above. The example I've included above comes is using extremely simple VI's, so I think the problem must somehow be related to the way the application builder is handling the nested libraries. Anyone have any idea what is going on here? I posted this on the NI forums as well, but figured I might get some other responses here.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Aaron

QUOTE(ars_stowers @ Feb 16 2007, 09:58 PM)

Error 1 occurred at Invoke Node in ABAPI Update Libraries.vi->ABAPI Dist Build LLB Image.vi->ABAPI Copy Files and Apply Settings.vi->EBEP_Invoke_Build_Engine.vi->EBUIP_Build_Invoke.vi->EBUIP_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

I reported similar problem to NI earlier today. The reason for my error was presumably name collision in two control names. That is two of my classes had a control with the same short name. It cause any problems in the development environment but it causes problems while building. Try to open the builder and go to the last page and press generate code button. This may help you find out if your build is about to fail.

Tomi

EDIT: I took a look at your project. That was not the problem. What LabVIEW version are you using? 8.20 or 8.0 or 8.0.1?

Tomi

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Feb 16 2007, 02:36 PM)

I reported similar problem to NI earlier today. The reason for my error was presumably name collision in two control names. That is two of my classes had a control with the same short name. It cause any problems in the development environment but it causes problems while building. Try to open the builder and go to the last page and press generate code button. This may help you find out if your build is about to fail.

Tomi

EDIT: I took a look at your project. That was not the problem. What LabVIEW version are you using? 8.20 or 8.0 or 8.0.1?

Tomi

I am using 8.0.1. As you mention, it doesn't appear to be a control name conflict because my example project is pretty simple.

When you say "open the builder and go to the last page...," to what builder are you referring? When I build .exes, I normally just create a build specification and then right-click->Build.

Thanks for your response,

Aaron

I just got a response from NI on this:

Hi Aaron,

This was reported to R&D (3X19S7QQ) and was fixed in LabVIEW 8.20. Here is a link to the current evaluation software download for LabVIEW. Thanks!

If you would like to continue using LabVIEW 8.0, you can work around this issue by using files and directories instead of nested libraries.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck on your application, and have a great day.

Regards,

Ching P.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

So, basically, I can't use libraries with their nice private/public setup without migrating to 8.2. Since everything run fines during development, I think I will just try (try being the operative word) to write some code to automatically create a project with folders, etc from my project with libraries. That way I can do all my work with libraries and build from folders.

If anyone has any good ideas on how to do this, please feel free to let me know.

-Aaron

QUOTE(ars_stowers @ Feb 20 2007, 08:43 AM)

Aaron,

I've been working with others on support Project Libraries (as well as LVClass, XControl, and XNode) in OpenG Builder (ogrsc_builder package in http://jkisoft.com/vipm' target="_blank">VIPM). OpenG Builder does most of what NI's application builder does, but it's a bit more flexible. If you're interested in this (it does support LabVIEW 8.0), please let me know. We can use some more testers.

Thanks,

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Feb 20 2007, 11:00 AM)

Aaron,

I've been working with others on support Project Libraries (as well as LVClass, XControl, and XNode) in OpenG Builder (ogrsc_builder package in http://jkisoft.com/vipm' target="_blank">VIPM). OpenG Builder does most of what NI's application builder does, but it's a bit more flexible. If you're interested in this (it does support LabVIEW 8.0), please let me know. We can use some more testers.

Thanks,

Sure, I would be happy to be a tester, especially if the functionality is superior to NI's app builder. I'll get the Package Manager running and download ogrsc_builder and see what I can do. Is there anything else in particular I should be doing?

Thanks,

Aaron