rotating compass rose with data

G'Day all.

I would like to plot some data on a compass rose type display and be able to rotate the data along with the compass rose.

I guess the closest thing I can think of to describe it is a radar image that has bearing markings and can rotate about it's centre. Like the image attached.

Currently I am playing with XY plots (rotating data blobs) and I can programatically rotate a simple gauge indicator, but I need to incorporate the data "into" the gauge (without any needles) and rotate the lot.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers & Beers

:thumbup: :beer:

QUOTE(Phil Duncan @ Apr 30 2007, 06:28 PM)

I would like to plot some data on a compass rose type display and be able to rotate the data along with the compass rose.

Hmmm - that's quite a challenge. You might need to impliment this from scratch using a picture control...

I think you could do that using a standard XY graph.

Since LV 8.0, there are 3 additionals image plot that you could use to draw your compass picture.

So here how it goes:

-Rotate & Plot your XY data

-Rotate & Plot your Image on the PlotImage Front (you might have to use a mask to get some transparency [see through])

Note: This will require some work but this is doable

Note2: Search the NI Forum for routines to rotate images

PJM

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I had a look at the forums and found quite a few very useful VI's for rotating picture control images. After playing with it a little more I have managed to nut out a solution I think is a little quicker than all the pixmap calculations.

I can plot data on an XY graph and rotate it quite easily. For the compass rose, I ended up making the FG and BG of a gauge indicator transparent (as well as the needle), changed the tick marks and numeric values to yellow, and overlaid it on the XY graph. rotating the gauge is then done by simply changing the Scale.ScalePosition.Start value programatically. It now rotates with the data in the XY graph and the user can not tell they are two separate entities :thumbup: . Here is a pic of the display as configured.

Cheers & Beers

:thumbup: :beer: