fp1000, omega tempscan 1000 and labview

kunal227

Hi all,

i just joined the lava community. i will get straight to the point

i want to use fp-1000(network module), fp-tc-120(i/o module) and fp-tb-3(terminal base) for temperature measurement using t-type thermocouples. i also want to use omega omb-tempscan 1000 to the same job because of large no of thermocouples and thats the hardware i have available in the lab.

i want to interface these hardware with labview.

could anyone please send me links to any tutorials on this? i will appreciate any help

please let me know if you wanna know anything more in order to help me.

thanks

QUOTE(kunal227 @ May 22 2007, 02:14 AM)

i want to use fp-1000(network module), fp-tc-120(i/o module) and fp-tb-3(terminal base) for temperature measurement using t-type thermocouples. i also want to use omega omb-tempscan 1000 to the same job because of large no of thermocouples and thats the hardware i have available in the lab.

I don't know anything about the omega tempscan 1000's, but the fieldpoints are pretty easy to work with. If you can see and talk to the module in MAX then there are many many example of how to read a temperature from your tc-120's in LabView. The biggest part of Fieldpoint reading is getting the setup right. I've never used a fp1000, only cFP 180x and other cFP modules. These are ethernet based, and pretty easy to deal with once you have all the software installed to talk to them.

Welcome to lava and good luck!

QUOTE(kunal227 @ May 22 2007, 03:14 AM)

Welcome to LAVA. I don't have experience with the Omega Tempscan, but I did a quick search of the Omega and NI web sites for drivers, and found nothing.

Your profile indicates you are somewhat recent to LabVIEW. If you ever need drivers for an instrument, the first place to look is at NI's web site at http://www.ni.com/idnet . The next place is here or the NI forums.

I used to work for an equipment manufacturer that OEM'd equipment for Omega. Omega stuff is spotty, some is really good and other stuff is cr@p. Omega probably sources the Tempscan from somebody that has LabVIEW drivers; the Omega data sheet for it indicates they are available. You need to contact Omega support to get the driver. My experience is that these types of drivers are written in a poor style and long ago (LabVIEW 5.x). Just getting a driver doesn't mean that you can install and go.

If you look carefully at the instrument (worst case: take off the cover and look inside) you might be able to figure out who makes the instrument and get the driver directly. I suggest this only if the Omega support is unable to help. This may void your warranty, so don't call me if you have problems :laugh: