Thinkpad tilt-sensors

I just discovered that my IBM Thinkpad has a 2-axis tilt sensor and probably a 3-axis accelerometer in it. It's part of something called "ThinkVantage", and is used primarily to disable the hard drive when motion gets too extreme.

Has anyone tried to access this information? Sounds like it would be fun to play with.

EDIT: Just found this: http://www.stanford.edu/~bsuter/thinkpad-accelerometer/.

Too bad I've got real work to do...

Gary

QUOTE(Gary Rubin @ Jul 20 2007, 04:35 AM)

Ooooo that's so cool! I've got real work to do, but I might be able to squeeze this one in jusy for its coolness factor ;)

EDIT: Yep, that little exe on the site works like a charm!

QUOTE(crelf @ Jul 19 2007, 02:48 PM)

Ooooo that's so cool! I've got real work to do, but I might be able to squeeze this one in jusy for its coolness factor ;)

I've come to expect grand things from you, Chris. When will we see a Code Repository entry for wiring Labview diagrams by changing the orientation of your lap? :P

QUOTE(crelf @ Jul 19 2007, 03:04 PM)

I'm thinking of something like turning your laptop into an etch-a-sketch... :D

I'm not at all familiar with the Mindstorms capabilities... Could you use the laptop as a remote control? Tilt it right, and the robot turns right, tilt it forward and it accelerates, etc.?

QUOTE(Gary Rubin @ Jul 20 2007, 11:16 AM)

I'd like to, but I don't have the appropriate versions installed - anyone else care ro help out?

QUOTE(Gary Rubin @ Jul 20 2007, 11:16 AM)

Introducing the "Labview - Thinkpad
Theramin
"!

Again, it takes ages to load unless you overtly link the dll to the location, so please don't just put "sensor.dll" in the "Library name or path", put the whole path in there too. Also, it doesn't seem to work with LabVIEW 8.20 - I get sound, but it doesn't change with the tilt in any direction...

QUOTE(crelf @ Jul 20 2007, 07:51 AM)

I'd like to, but I don't have the appropriate versions installed - anyone else care ro help out?

Again, it takes ages to load unless you overtly link the dll to the location, so please don't just put "sensor.dll" in the "Library name or path", put the whole path in there too. Also, it doesn't seem to work with LabVIEW 8.20 - I get sound, but it doesn't change with the tilt in any direction...

When I open it on mine, the full path is there.

QUOTE(orko @ Jul 24 2007, 04:11 AM)

Hey, they did this with the phones, why not do it on a laptop? ;)

It's a pity that there isn't a standard API for these sensors for all laptops (is there?) - otherwise, that would make a kick-arse coding challenge...