A couple personal projects

Guest Submeg

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of personal projects that I wish to commence and I was looking to see if anyone could offer me some advice/help.

Project 1: Die based soccer game

When I was younger, I used to play this game that I designed. The game went as followed.

There were 16 teams

11 players per side

The die was rolled. The first two rolls determined how many shots each team would have on goal. From then on, each roll would determine if a goal would be scored. To score a goal a 1 or a 6 had to be rolled.

If a 1 or 6 was rolled, two dice would be rolled to determine the player who scored the goal.

Once all shots had been taken, the team with the most goals wins.

This information would then be presented in a league style table.

The other additional sections of the game are:

* At the beginning of the first season, each player is worth $1M. Each club starts with $11M to buy players. Each time a player scores a goal, his worth increases by $1M.

* At the end of each match, the man of the match award is distributed to a player. Firstly, a die is rolled to determine which team the player plays for. The second roll determines the player. For each MOTM award, his worth increases by $1M.

* At the end of each season, the teams are awarded more money to buy players for the next season. These are distributed in a descending fashion.

At this point, this is all I want to implement. I have many other ideas for this, but atm I just want the basic game working.

PS: The only real difficulty Im having is loading text and numerals from a text file so to be able to load the files to continue playing

Project 2: Fourier Transform of songs

I have just recently purchased DJ gear, and I am beginning to realise that I wish to be able to separate the lyrics from the beat. Using Fourier transforms, this is possible.

What I wish to do is this:

Open the wav of a song

Examine a section of the song

Display: The frequencies present during that section and their amplitude

With this information, I can use a knockout technique to lift vocals from the beat and vice versa. To do this I have realised that if I play a section of a song which does not contain the vocals, I can determine the bass line and guitar frequencies etc and then cancel these. If there are any frequencies that overlap with the vocals, the amplitudes given will allow me to cancel them to a certain point as to leave the vocals intact.

I have had experience with:

Matlab

C

Java

Labview

If anyone knows how or knows of someone who has already done this or can help me accomplish this, let me know :)

Cheers!