Multiple Front Panels

EJW

Is there a way to open a front panel of a second vi and have it work independently of the main program. Normally when i call another vi, the front panel opens and the main program

pauses until the vi is closed and then continues on.

I would still like to be able to use the second vi to progmatically change things in the main vi if at all possible.

You need to use VI Server. Open a reference to the VI you want to run in parallel, then use the "Run VI" method from an invoke node. Be sure to wire a False to "Wait Until Done". That spawns the VI into a separate process.

David

EDIT: Looks like there is a Wiki Article that has a little bit of information (mostly what to avoid, not how to implement).

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Sep 12 2007, 03:20 PM)

I must be doing something wrong because it wont open the second vi, could you please post a short code example? Thanks.

QUOTE(EJW @ Sep 12 2007, 12:59 PM)

I must be doing something wrong because it wont open the second vi, could you please post a short code example? Thanks.

It may be that you have the VI set to 'Show When Run' or something like that. Using the 'Run VI' method ignores this setting, so you have to explicitly open the front panel from within the second VI.

I will get a little code example together.

David

QUOTE(EJW @ Sep 12 2007, 03:01 PM)

Is there a way to open a front panel of a second vi and have it work independently of the main program. Normally when i call another vi, the front panel opens and the main program

pauses until the vi is closed and then continues on.

I would still like to be able to use the second vi to progmatically change things in the main vi if at all possible.

Take a look at this example I made a while ago to demonstrate what you want. I apologize the paths will be all messed up for you and you will have to browse for the files to get it to run. It is easy to see what is needed.

Mike