live track object

I want to live track an object with an USB webcam. Which tool do I use best. I searched this forum a lot and I come up with a lot. I installed them all but I dont know what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Grabbing the images:

Videocapx (uses WDM driver?)

Imaq for usb webcams (uses ..?)

Ivision toolkit (uses video for windows driver?)

Writing your own dll (with help of windows wia?)

other..

Processing

Vision assistance 8.0(can convert to labview vi's)

Ivision toolkit

other

So what are the advantages or disadvantages?

And how is the best method?

Snap an Image --> process(search for object) --> snap next image ?

thank you

QUOTE(Mindstormer @ Sep 14 2007, 05:41 AM)

I want to live track an object with an USB webcam. Which tool do I use best. I searched this forum a lot and I come up with a lot. I installed them all but I dont know what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Grabbing the images:

Videocapx (uses WDM driver?)

Imaq for usb webcams (uses ..?)

Ivision toolkit (uses video for windows driver?)

Writing your own dll (with help of windows wia?)

other..

Processing

Vision assistance 8.0(can convert to labview vi's)

Ivision toolkit

other

So what are the advantages or disadvantages?

And how is the best method?

Snap an Image --> process(search for object) --> snap next image ?

thank you

Hello MindStormer,

I can answer your question regarding IVision LabVIEW toolkit. It can capture images from both WDM and VFW supporting imaging devices such as USB webcam, firewire camera, DV camcorder and also TV tuner card. Yes, you can snap an image, then do imaging processing with IVision vis. Please download a demo version to try out. There are many examples that can help you to start. Besides, the price for developer license is now only $399USD with over 420 vis.

Irene

QUOTE(Irene_he @ Sep 15 2007, 03:56 PM)

Hello MindStormer,I can answer your question regarding IVision LabVIEW toolkit. It can capture images from both WDM and VFW supporting imaging devices such as USB webcam, firewire camera, DV camcorder and also TV tuner card. Yes, you can snap an image, then do imaging processing with IVision vis. Please download a demo version to try out. There are many examples that can help you to start. Besides, the price for developer license is now only $399USD with over 420 vis.Irene
Ok thx for your reply Irene, I tried to put the snap function in a while loop, but the rate at which is snaps is rather low.Its for steering a robot and I want as little delay as possible. I want to get an image from webcam process and the as soon as processing is finished, I want to get another new image from the webcam. How is the best way to do this in Ivision?

I tried the imaq snap function and that takes about 3 seconds to take a picture, why is this so long?how to decrease this time

UPDATE: I used the continous function of imaq with a timeout of 10 ms and now I can track my object.

QUOTE(Mindstormer @ Sep 18 2007, 07:54 AM)

Ok thx for your reply Irene, I tried to put the snap function in a while loop, but the rate at which is snaps is rather low.Its for steering a robot and I want as little delay as possible. I want to get an image from webcam process and the as soon as processing is finished, I want to get another new image from the webcam. How is the best way to do this in Ivision?

I tried the imaq snap function and that takes about 3 seconds to take a picture, why is this so long?how to decrease this time

UPDATE: I used the continous function of imaq with a timeout of 10 ms and now I can track my object.

Hello,

By using callback vis in IVision, you should be able to catch each frame as long as your image processing/tracking routine does not take longer than one frame time. Say you have a webcam that outputs 30frames/s, then as long as your tracking routine does not take more than 33ms, you can get each video frames. There are few callback vis examples in IVision.

Irene

Irene