Using Micropross through Serial

Shoyurx

I am trying to controll a Micropross Class 185 RFID card reader using Labview. I've tried using the Measurement and Automation explorer, but it doesn't seem to see my serial port. When I try creating a new device, I dont get an option to select serial.

Has anyone had problems with this, or perhaps used Micrpross hardware with Labview? Any help would be appreciated.

QUOTE(Shoyurx @ Sep 27 2007, 12:37 PM)

I am trying to controll a Micropross Class 185 RFID card reader using Labview. I've tried using the Measurement and Automation explorer, but it doesn't seem to see my serial port. When I try creating a new device, I dont get an option to select serial.

Has anyone had problems with this, or perhaps used Micrpross hardware with Labview? Any help would be appreciated.

The serial port in your computer is entirely independant of your external device. If you can't see it in MAX it is either not there, not properly installed in your OS or disabled. MAX automatically shows the serial devices it can detect from the OS. It does not allow you create arbitrary devices for that class since that makes no sense. A port is either there and accessible or it isn't.

Have you tried to do a Refresh of the MAX configuration (hitting F5 after starting it up)? That will rescan the system for built in devices and show any it can detect. If that does not give you a serial port then you have to start debugging there and see why MAX can't seem to find it.

After you got your port you can start to deal with your device but until then it is completely irrevelant to this.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(tnt @ Sep 28 2007, 04:41 AM)

Making sure VISA is installed will of course help tremenduously! MAX is only the UI configuration tool for all NI driver software. As such it does NOT access any hardware at all directly but looks for installed NI software drivers such as NI-VISA, NI-DAQ, NI-DAQmx etc and queries them for known resources.

I didn't consider that you could somehow end up with MAX on a computer without having installed VISA.

Rolf Kalbermatter