image processing application..please help..urgent!

i am developing an image processing application in labview(version 8.2) where i have to compare certain patterns on two different images and compare and check whether the patterns are the same(something like signature recognition)...i am new to labview (started using it only a year ago)...what i would like to know is whether there exists any way to get information about the image in the form of pixels(i would like to convert a color image to gray scale format if possible).right now i trying to do this with jpeg images...i need to get the information in an array so that i can analyze it later...can i do the same withinage formats other than jpeg

thanks in advance.. :o !!!

QUOTE(Petersdon @ Oct 8 2007, 05:10 AM)

i am developing an image processing application in labview(version 8.2) where i have to compare certain patterns on two different images and compare and check whether the patterns are the same(something like signature recognition)...i am new to labview (started using it only a year ago)...what i would like to know is whether there exists any way to get information about the image in the form of pixels(i would like to convert a color image to gray scale format if possible).right now i trying to do this with jpeg images...i need to get the information in an array so that i can analyze it later...can i do the same withinage formats other than jpeg

I don't know if the student version has the Picture VIs or not, but you can use Unflatten Pixmap to get a 2D array of pixels. If the image is 24-bit, each value of the array will be the color of the pixel. If it's 8-bit or less, the value in the array will be an index into the colors array, which contains the actual color.

There is no "correct" color -> grayscale conversion. The most commonly used one for photos is Y = 0.3*R + 0.59*G + 0.11*B, which emphasizes the information in the green channel.