Can anybody tell me how to call executable from LV

Hi, everybody, I am a new user of LV and my present version is LabVIEW8.5. Maybe it is not very proporiate to ask these kind of "easy" question on this forum. But I think you guys still can help me out.

I need to call an executable file from Labview, let's say MS word, and then open a doc file automatically. I tried the 'system exec.vi' function with executable path in the command line. The result is the function keep opening the MS word many times until I stop the execution.

There are a few questions in my mind: 1, how to make it just open once. 2 How to let LV know that I close the executable file . 3 How can it automatically open a program file when the executable is open?

Online waiting, please help! I really appreciate it!

The exec.vi doesn't keep opening the application, check that you haven't put it in a loop.

You can also use activex methods to open word, do document control and close it afterwards. There are examples included in LabVIEW that show how to do this. Search for excel or word. There's also the Report Generation Toolkit from NI.

This file might also help word97_activex.zip

It should still work for a newer version of word.

QUOTE(Karissap @ Oct 29 2007, 03:35 PM)

Thank you for your answer. I ran the example "calling System Exec.vi" come with this version. Once it is executed, the notepad will be open hundreds of times until my computer is out of memory. What I can do is to end the LV task from the task manager.

The application I need to call from LV is Honeywell HC900 Utility. I can open the Utility from LV now, but don't know how to automatically open the utility configuration file.