XML String Parsing

Currently I am investigating using XML within labview. I am interested in parsing information from xml documents but more specifically strings. I have investigated using the LabXML toolkit (the libxml one), however it only works with documents that are on disc. I am receiving XML documents over a TCP socket. It seems that if I use the labXML toolkit I have to write my XML string back to the disk, so that I can parse it, this will be too slow for my application. I looked at the libxml documentation, and the API provides for creating a xmldoc pointer using a string, but I do not see this exposed in labxml.

Is there an option to parse in-memory XML strings without writing to disk. What about the Internet Toolkit? I do not desire to write my own parser and would like the ability to use XQuery / XPath.

Thanks,

Paul

QUOTE(tillong @ Nov 7 2007, 01:45 PM)

Currently I am investigating using XML within labview. I am interested in parsing information from xml documents but more specifically strings. I have investigated using the LabXML toolkit (the libxml one), however it only works with documents that are on disc. I am receiving XML documents over a TCP socket. It seems that if I use the labXML toolkit I have to write my XML string back to the disk, so that I can parse it, this will be too slow for my application. I looked at the libxml documentation, and the API provides for creating a xmldoc pointer using a string, but I do not see this exposed in labxml.

Is there an option to parse in-memory XML strings without writing to disk. What about the Internet Toolkit? I do not desire to write my own parser and would like the ability to use XQuery / XPath.

Thanks,

Paul

Ill answer my own question here. The labXML implementation does not provide a wrapper for the libxml function xmlReadMemory, which also returns an xmldoc pointer. By creating a wrapper VI for that function the remaining wrapper vis for the labXML library can work on an in-memory string. If anybody here is responsible for labXML or has any part in its development, I would suggest providing a wrapped version of xmlReadMemory in future releases.

-Paul

QUOTE(Dirk J. @ Nov 9 2007, 11:33 AM)

Paul,

LabXML uses Microsofts XML ActiveX components you can use direclty (MSXML).

The MSXML2.IXMLDOMDocument3 class (what's in a name) has a method LoadXML(bstrXML) which loads directly from a string.

You can use XPath as a selection language.

, see picture.

Thank you for the input. I am using the LabXML release based on Gnome libxml library (which is cross platform). I might have to do some timing analysis of the two methods and see which ends up being faster.