Easiest method to get data from an RT system to the Host

BrokenArrow

When speed if not a concern, it seems to me there should be an easier way for the host to "ask" the RT system for data. Such as DAQmx Tasks, running on the Host, with explicit MAC Address + Task name! Just a thought.

Take the example of an RT system with eight slots, and a DMM resides in one slot. You want to get the voltage reading and you could care less if it's in "real time". I'm currently using Shared Variables, but it seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors for just a tiny piece of data that could take 500mS to get back to me for all I care. (notwithstanding the argument that the DMM does not belong in the RT chassis if you don't need RT data from it :headbang: ).

Richard

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Dec 17 2007, 06:02 PM)

When speed if not a concern, it seems to me there should be an easier way for the host to "ask" the RT system for data. Such as DAQmx Tasks, running on the Host, with explicit MAC Address + Task name! Just a thought.

Take the example of an RT system with eight slots, and a DMM resides in one slot. You want to get the voltage reading and you could care less if it's in "real time". I'm currently using Shared Variables, but it seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors for just a tiny piece of data that could take 500mS to get back to me for all I care. (notwithstanding the argument that the DMM does not belong in the RT chassis if you don't need RT data from it :headbang: ).

Richard

Actually, if you're using a RIO device (LabVIEW FPGA) it IS as easy as you've asked for.

Local Device: RIO0

Remote Device: rio://[target name | IP address]/RIO0

It's even remarkabley fast. (though not real-time)

-Noah

QUOTE(njg @ Dec 18 2007, 03:04 PM)

Actually, if you're using a RIO device (LabVIEW FPGA) it IS as easy as you've asked for.

Local Device: RIO0

Remote Device: rio://[target name | IP address]/RIO0

It's even remarkabley fast. (though not real-time)

-Noah

Yep, myself and others have lamented the decision to not use cRio / FPGA for this project, but there IS a major portion of the data that needs to be real time. What I'm dealing with now is, all the other PXI devices in the same chassis as the RT target that don't need to be there (should be controlled by the host IMO) - I have to write two VI's to access those cards.

I was just wondering how other people might go about getting data from the RT. I guess there's no "easy" way -- Shared Variables or TPC/IP.

Again with the head on wall thing >>> :headbang: