reading/writing shared variables from Linux LV8.5

PaulL

I am trying to read and write network shared variables from Linux and have not had immediate success. Does anyone know the secret?

We are using LabVIEW 8.5 and the DSC Module. The shared variables are (necessarily) hosted on a Windows machine.

I am able to read and write to the shared variables from a second Windows machine using the psp:// protocol and DataSocket Read/Write. (Interestingly, dstp:// did not work--not a problem, I just didn't know it wouldn't. Also, I was only able to make psp:// work once I had opened the Shared Variable Monitor on the remote Windows machine--not sure if that is always true. The variables do not appear in the Shared Variable Manager on the remote Windows machine.)

I am using the same psp://machine_name/library_name/variable_name string input on the Linux machine with DataSocket Read/Write, but I get error 1184 here. (The DSC Module and therefore the Shared Variable Monitor are not supported on Linux, but the DataSocket API for shared variables is....)

For the record, I have temporarily disabled the firewalls on all three machines to remove that as a potential issue.

Anyway, I haven't been at this long but I haven't found any solutions yet, and I was hoping that the wonderful people at LAVA would know.... :)

Paul

I do not think anything changed in 8.5... This info is available in knwoledge base of NI. I guess the problem is the logos protocol which is only available for Windows...

Shared variable support for LabVIEW 8.2 for Mac OS X or Linux is limited to using single process shared variable nodes that were created and configured in LabVIEW 8.2 for Windows. Projects and VIs that include shared variables will open in LabVIEW 8.2 for Mac OS X or Linux but they cannot be reconfigured.

Network shared variables are not supported in LabVIEW 8.2 for Mac OS X or Linux. In addition, the PSP protocol that can be used to connect to shared variables from LabVIEW for Windows via datasocket is not supported. See the Readme Files for LabVIEW 8.2 for Mac OS X and Linux linked below for more detailed information about shared variable support on these platforms.

Reading and writing to networked shared variables from Linux (and Macintosh) with the DataSocket API IS supported in LabVIEW 8.5 (for the first time). See Table 1 here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4679.

In my case I was typing the machine name for the computer in the url (works fine on Windows), but on Linux one has to use the IP address. D'oh!

It works now! (The format is psp://computer/library/shared_variable.)

Paul

• Like 1