Insert method of class

QUOTE(ibbuntu @ Mar 7 2008, 07:41 PM)

Just a random thought: Wouldn't it be nice if when you right-clicked on a class' wire there was a menu option to insert a method vi of that class?

I have a feeling that this has been suggested before, but Aristo Queue (aka the great god of LabVIEW Native Classes) had said that it was extremely difficult to implement because it would involve loading not just the class, but the entire set of ancestors to work out what methods were available (or something like that anyway).

Personally, I'd settle for right clicking on a class wire and doing an insert bundle by name and have it wre up the cluster prototype and output correctly :)

It's being worked on. It's more than a bit frustrating just how hard this problem has turned out to be. It seemed like such a simple little feature when originally proposed. *sigh*

In the short term, all I can offer is the ability to define a custom .mnu file that will appear when you right click on a class wire. So if you build a type that you use commonly or are creating as a deployable API, you can build the menu that you're asking for. But an on-the-fly sort of thing is not likely any time soon. On the flip side, the project works so well as an always-pinned palette (assuming you have the screen real estate for this) that it may not be that important a feature as the project window continues to improve its behavior.

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Mar 8 2008, 01:10 AM)

It's being worked on. It's more than a bit frustrating just how hard this problem has turned out to be. It seemed like such a simple little feature when originally proposed. *sigh*

In the short term, all I can offer is the ability to define a custom .mnu file that will appear when you right click on a class wire. So if you build a type that you use commonly or are creating as a deployable API, you can build the menu that you're asking for. But an on-the-fly sort of thing is not likely any time soon. On the flip side, the project works so well as an always-pinned palette (assuming you have the screen real estate for this) that it may not be that important a feature as the project window continues to improve its behavior.

I have done the .mnu thing, and it works pretty well.

Awkward if you need a mnu for each class, but at least it's possible.

Native support would rock!

Shane.