Read serial stream

uhu13

Hi!

I'm new to labview. I want to make a vi that handles a data stream coming from a serial port. My problem is that i don't know how to do it. The task would be to read a continous stream without losing data and then display it on a graph. I can use visa to read the serial port and i can display the read bytes on a graph, but the problem is that i can't read it continously. I can usually read upto the length of the buffer, but i don't know how to connect the data when the buffer is full(I flush it, so it doesn't overrun, but the data that i display restarts from 0 index) What i would need is a way to read the port continously and display that continous data(so that it doesn't do cylces!)

If you can, please help!

Thanx!

uhu13,

Welcome! :D

I suggest using a *Chart* instead of a *Graph* display. Charts automatically append the data they display.

If you need to output the data from your loop, you could use a shift-register to continuously build your array. In that case, you would want to use a Graph display to avoid replotting data each loop.

have a nice day,

-H