Probing images in L8.2

Hi, newbie here, so be gentle.

I have a problem with L8.2, running Vision 8.2.1 on WinXP.

When I try to probe an image wire, which is something I used to do regularly in 7.2 and 8.0, my computer cannot create the probe properly. For our application development, we need to be able to probe images.

I have found the same problem on three different computers, so I assume it is something to do with the L8.2 distribution.

Here are 3 images that show the problem:

1. I try to probe an image after loading it using IMAQ Readfile:

help_me1.jpg

2. The computer, when creating the probe, tries to search for the file "IMAQ image.ctl":

help_me2.jpg

3. I located "IMAQ Image.ctl" under the llb "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2\vi.lib\vision\Image Controls.llb"

However, when I set it to this I get the following probe created:

help_me3.jpg

This is not the 'image' probe (displaying the image with an interactive user interface) that I am used to from previous versions of LabVIEW. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to set up interactive image probes in LabVIEW 8.2?

QUOTE (gmilne @ Apr 30 2008, 07:50 PM)

This is not the 'image' probe (displaying the image with an interactive user interface) that I am used to from previous versions of LabVIEW.

Hmmmmm - that's not supposed to happen. Have you tried a reinstall of the Vision Toolkit? Does anyone know the location of the correct probe?

QUOTE (crelf @ May 1 2008, 06:51 AM)

Hmmmmm - that's not supposed to happen. Have you tried a reinstall of the Vision Toolkit? Does anyone know the location of the correct probe?

Yes, I tried re-installing the Vision toolkit. Same problem. Let me stress that the same problem is present on ALL of our computers.

QUOTE (gmilne @ Apr 30 2008, 07:50 PM)

Hi, newbie here, so be gentle.

I have a problem with L8.2, running Vision 8.2.1 on WinXP.

When I try to probe an image wire, which is something I used to do regularly in 7.2 and 8.0, my computer cannot create the probe properly. For our application development, we need to be able to probe images.

This is not the 'image' probe (displaying the image with an interactive user interface) that I am used to from previous versions of LabVIEW. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to set up interactive image probes in LabVIEW 8.2?

OK I got around the problem by creating my own custom image probe, but I'd be interested to know what caused the problem in the first place, if anyone knows.

Technically speaking the IMAQ Image.ctl is the control that corresponds to the wire type since it is the control type used on the IMAQ Vis to pass images around. Of course this is not what you want to see but you can always create your custom IMAQ probe just like any other probe. By doing that with an IMAQ Image Control on it you will get what you want. It is not as comfortable as just right clicking since you also have to make sure this custom probe is distributed to your other development systems but it is at least a workable workarouond for the time being, until we can find the real probe window in a Vision 8.2 installation.

Edit: Ok I found the probe that you would want to use most likely as default probe. It is found in user.lib/_probes/default/ImageControlProbe.vi.

Not sure why LabVIEW won't use that by default on your systems. It does use it by default on my LabVIEW 8.2.1 installation. And also has 3 "IMAQ Image Probe" entries under Custom Probes that all show the same probe too, and also a Generic Probe in there that brings up the search dialog for IMAQ Image.ctl looking for it in resource/objmgr.

Rolf Kalbermatter