Custom Install Reboot and Resume Option

Hello:

I need to write a LabVIEW installer that will reboot and resume the install process by executing a known exe. Is there a way to do this in the LabVIEW installer or can one write a batch file or script that will invoke reboot and then launch the target exe?

I was thinking of getting WISE installer or Install Shield to help do this. But then this reboot and re-run feature is the only missing thing in my current installer.

Thanks

Anthony

I use Inno Setup to create installers for some LabVIEW programs, I've found it really good to use plus it's free but you could certainly use one of the others.

As for a batch file to restart and resume, there is an option to run a program after the installation in the default LabVIEW installer creator. To resume the installation on reboot I would use the "RunOnce" registry key under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion, so the program will only run once AFTER reboot, and then windows will remove the entry from your the registry http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179365

Alternatively you could create a shortcut in the startup folder of the start menu that gets deleted after installation if you don't want to use the registry.

To actually restart the computer use the "shutdown -r" command in the batch file, you can use other options to display prompts and timers etc.

QUOTE (Karissap @ May 13 2008, 12:11 AM)

I use Inno Setup to create installers for some LabVIEW programs, I've found it really good to use plus it's free but you could certainly use one of the others.

I generally use Setup2Go - it's free with a nag screen, altough I paid the $US29 to get rid of it. That said, I'm moving slowly over to InstallShield Express as I need to include different options/groups in installers now - it's a lot more expensive (~$US500), but has a handful of features that I really need.