License Expired Although It "Expires Never"

This morning LabVIEW 7.0 will not run on my (Boot Camp) Win XP machine because the license has "expired", but the license manager utility lists the license as never expiring! (See attached screen shot.) It ran fine last week. It runs fine on another XP machine with the same licensing. :headbang: Anyone got any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

post-1180-1215012140.png?width=400

I just got a call back from Justin Fuller at NI. The problem was an expired evaluation license for 8.2 Professional Development System with MathScript. According to Justin, an expired 8.2 license can interfere with licenses for earlier versions. This is not always the case: I have the same expired license on my other Win XP machine, where LabVIEW 7.0 still runs fine. Simply adding a .bak extension to the expired .lic file hides it from the license manager and allows LV7 to function properly. :thumbup:

Someone posted to Info-LabVIEW that he had a similar problem with the IMAQ toolkit and asked for detailed instructions for fixing the problem, so I'm posting them here as well:

Eric,

You wrote:

I temporarily put on an

unlicensed copy of IMAQ 3.8(needs to be registered) on a machine to debug

and now when I run my 7.1 app w/IMAQ 3.1(no reg needed) I get the

"unlicensed copy of IMAQ" error - how do I remove that?

I'd suggest trying what worked for me. If it doesn't work, it's easily undone.

First, run the license manager utility (Start>>All Programs>>National Instruments>>NI License Manager). Expand any collapsed entries in the folder structure in the left pane until you find an item whose status square is half red and half white (in your case the IMAQ 3.8 toolkit). According to the license manager help (under the index item "environment") and the "Status" item in the right pane, such a box indicates an evaluation license that has expired. (If it were a fully featured license that expired, the box would be completely red but the same procedure would apply.)

Next open the ..\Program FIles\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\Licenses folder in Windows Explorer. You'll find a number of files with a .lic extension and cryptic names that refer to the package and version to which they apply. (LabVIEW_PDSM_PKG_080200.lic is for the LabVIEW Professional Development System with MathScript version 8.20, which was causing my problem. I can't tell what the code would be for the IMAQ toolkit since mine is also an earlier version but I'd guess it would start with LV_IMAQ or something similar.) Add an additional extension of .bak to the .lic file you think is causing the problem so it now is called, e.g., LV_IMAQ_030800.lic.bak and click Yes in the warning box about the file becoming unusable. (With this scheme, it will be obvious what you were trying to do and it will be easy to reverse if you chose the wrong file.)

Return to the NI License Manager window and choose Options>>Refresh (or hit the F5 key). The license you've disabled will have disappeared from the list. If it's the wrong license, just erase the .bak extension, hit F5, and it should reappear. Try another likely candidate until you find the right one.

Finally, try your previously failing program to verify that you've fixed the problem. If you haven't, erase the .bak extension and call NI for help.

QUOTE (Gary Rubin @ Jul 3 2008, 05:50 AM)

Does Info-LabVIEW still exist? I stopped receiving the daily digests a while back, although I don't think I ever did anything to unsubscribe.

Gary

Yes it does. I still get my daily digests. You should try to re-subscribe, or else check your SPAM settings.

Neville.