Intensity Graph Woes

QUOTE (jdunham @ Aug 4 2008, 04:34 PM)

I don't have that toolkit loaded on my machine, so I haven't seen the example, but it sounds like your Z scale is not set right. If you make the Z scale visible, and make sure that different colors are assigned to values between 0 and 255, you should get a more interesting rendering of your data. It's too complicated to describe how the Z scale works, but just right-click on the various parts and fiddle with them, or as a last resort, you could try the user's manual. You should probably start with interpolated colors and make sure the data is plotted correctly, and then you might pick a few ranges for colors and then turn interpolation off. I find the latter makes a more understandable image display, more like a contour plot. You can also get some mileage from seting "aribitrary spacing" rather than uniform.

For example you can have zero displayed as black, 1-63 as blue, 64-127 as green, 128-191 as yellow, 192-254 as white, and 255 as red. With interpolation on, this will look kind of muddy, but with it off, it will look great.

If you don't want to see other graph items, and the "visible items" isn't clearing them, you can try coloring them transparent. For the X and Y scales, you just change the scale type to "No Scale".

Good luck

Thanks. I played around with it and got it almost working:

intensity.GIF

But I can't seem to figure out how to remove that grey border. On the Intensity graph that I keep referencing, it is invisible, and is a very thin border of the black area.

How do I make it transparent?

QUOTE (jorwex @ Aug 5 2008, 03:59 PM)

Thanks. I played around with it and got it almost working:

intensity.GIF

But I can't seem to figure out how to remove that grey border. On the Intensity graph that I keep referencing, it is invisible, and is a very thin border of the black area.

How do I make it transparent?

Got it! Now all i have to take care of is the color mapping. Through all that right-click menu surfing, I couldn't find a way to get it to 0-255 greyscale.+

EDIT: I believe the answer that I'm looking for is the Marker Color option (found by right clicking an intensity graph's color ramp). However, it is greyed (grayed?) out and I cannot seem to make it clickable.

Any suggestions?

QUOTE (jorwex @ Aug 6 2008, 11:01 AM)

Got it! Now all i have to take care of is the color mapping. Through all that right-click menu surfing, I couldn't find a way to get it to 0-255 greyscale.+

EDIT: I believe the answer that I'm looking for is the Marker Color option (found by right clicking an intensity graph's color ramp). However, it is greyed (grayed?) out and I cannot seem to make it clickable.

Any suggestions?

EDIT 2: I figured it out. You have to click on the numbers on the scale. That's dumb :)

I tried everything but the numbers, starting with the colored ramp itself. I'm sure there's a good reason for it that I haven't considered yet as a LabVIEW newbie.

Thanks for your help.

QUOTE (jorwex @ Aug 7 2008, 07:34 AM)

I'm sure there's a good reason for it ...

That's the true sign of a newbie. :rolleyes: No, there's no good reason. It's just a complicated feature set that mostly works and doesn't generate too many complaints so it has remained the same. I think you figured out why I didn't want to type up a whole set of instructions.

I'm glad you got it working. One final tip: you can use the Control Editor to specify the exact size of the plot area. LabVIEW scales the axes automatically, but if you match the plot area to the size of your X and Y dimensions, then the rendering of the intensity graph will be faster and more accurate. If you're off by a few pixels, then LV has to do a 2D interpolation of the whole data set.