Graphical Electrical System Design

JohnRH

For those of you that do electrical system design. What are the "best" tools for doing top level block diagrams?

Currently I use VISO, but it seems like there has got to be something better!

My systems usually consist of several 'components' (circuit boards and/or COTS components), contained inside a box, with lots of cable, connectors, and terminal blocks.

What would be really cool is something in which I could activly link the blocks to the lower level design detail. (circuit diagrams, interface specs, LabVIEW FPGA code, LabVIEW software, etc.)

QUOTE (JohnRH @ Aug 28 2008, 07:34 PM)

QUOTE (JohnRH @ Aug 28 2008, 07:34 PM)

What would be really cool is something in which I could activly link the blocks to the lower level design detail. (circuit diagrams, interface specs, LabVIEW FPGA code, LabVIEW software, etc.)

My previous employer didn't have anything (well, Paintbrush) available to me, so I faxed hand-drawn diagrams to the electrician/drafter/electrical designer/jack-of-many-trades. My current employer has AutoCAD; I'm finding that's overkill, but it does allow for a lot of text to be put into place and the diagrams can be included in the prints or drawing package. Most of my diagrams are stored as digital pictures of whiteboards, though. :blink:

Tim

I wonder if NI will eventually extend their Graphical System Design concept from just embedded systems to more complete systems - along the lines of this discussion.

I think they already own Micro-Sim. It seems like a fairly logical extension.