Very ugly bug in LV 8.6

Peter Stephens

QUOTE (Val Brown @ Sep 19 2008, 09:45 PM)

FWIW, you couldn't pay me to use HP products.

Happily running on a MacBook Pro using Leopard and running LV in XP via VMWare Fusion using a Boot Camp partition.

Val, gotta say Apple make some really nice gear but I am currently in love with my HP 8710W especially since HP have now been exonerated!

Got to the bottom of my woes, it was caused by Bitdefender Total Security 2009. This antivirus/firewall/bigBrother package had good reviews but clearly does not like to share the playground. I had installed in on 3 machines and while it did not cause problems with labview on a core duo dell, it was stopping labview working properly on a core 2 duo HP. I uninstalled bitdefender and everything works perfectly now. :blink:

Bitdefender now goes into my gallery of 'most expensive software products of all time' because of the time I burnt on trying to sort this out.

The clue to bitdefender being the problem was that bitdefender was not running scans on a desktop P4 machine. After waiting for a week ( :thumbdown: ), bitdefender tech support came back saying that Nero express 7.0 was conflicting. Uninstalled Nero and lo and behold bitdefender worked fine.

Will now try and get a refund from bitdefender because I can't use the software on 2 machines with different software. Not working with labview is obviously the deal breaker but was hard to find because it worked fine on the core duo machine.

Felt it was ony fair to set the record straight. Problem was not labview or HP (as far as I can tell) and appologies for wasting anyones time with this.

cheers

Peter

QUOTE (Peter Stephens @ Sep 20 2008, 06:14 PM)

Val, gotta say Apple make some really nice gear but I am currently in love with my HP 8710W especially since HP have now been exonerated!

Got to the bottom of my woes, it was caused by Bitdefender Total Security 2009. This antivirus/firewall/bigBrother package had good reviews but clearly does not like to share the playground. I had installed in on 3 machines and while it did not cause problems with labview on a core duo dell, it was stopping labview working properly on a core 2 duo HP. I uninstalled bitdefender and everything works perfectly now. :blink:

Bitdefender now goes into my gallery of 'most expensive software products of all time' because of the time I burnt on trying to sort this out.

The clue to bitdefender being the problem was that bitdefender was not running scans on a desktop P4 machine. After waiting for a week ( :thumbdown: ), bitdefender tech support came back saying that Nero express 7.0 was conflicting. Uninstalled Nero and lo and behold bitdefender worked fine.

Will now try and get a refund from bitdefender because I can't use the software on 2 machines with different software. Not working with labview is obviously the deal breaker but was hard to find because it worked fine on the core duo machine.

Felt it was ony fair to set the record straight. Problem was not labview or HP (as far as I can tell) and appologies for wasting anyones time with this.

cheers

Peter

I understand and am glad that you worked out your situation. You still couldn't pay me to use HP computers and that's based on the last 10+ years of trying to support them for users of my deployed software.

Yes, AV suites can be another source of....disagreement to put it mildly. I for one use Norton -- 360 now, NSW in the past -- and do so because I have a long track record with them and know how to troubleshoot their products -- when needed -- again to support our users. I know others will disagree with that (Oh my God not Norton!!!) but that's OK too. I know what works for me and my users.

Again glad you got it worked out.