Passing Control Refs to a Hierarcy of Sub Vi's

I have gotten into considerable trouble in trying to pass control references through an hierarcy of sub vi's, where there are two or more levels of sub vi's.

The test vi's in the attachment are my attempt to sort this out. I would appreciate any advice from the forum. In particular any corrections or additions to the attached note I wrote to myself to set up some rules.

The vi's attached are: a) Two Step Main – the user interface b) Two Step Sub[1] – this does some trivial calculation c) Two Step Sub[2] – checks for an error condition, files a result and passes info back to main.vi.

The documents are 1) a slightly modified NI help page 'Controlling Front Panel Objects' – modifications in colour, to help my understanding, and 2) note on rules.

The vi's seem to work OK but I could not handle the path control and indicators without them having to appear as front panel objects in the sub vi's. I had expected, for example, to just use the path control on the top vi and then control refs from then on. Have I got this wrong?

Regards, GraemeJ