Programmatic Front Panel Binding

I would like to programmatically bind front panel controls to Network Shared Variables. For some reason I keep getting this mysterious error

Error 1522 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in NSV Binding Test.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: (Hex 0x5F2) The BindingPath property can only be written when the control is already bound to a PSP URL.

Property Name: Data Binding:Path

I find that I can set some binding properties such as the binding mode, but cannot

seems to be able to set the binding path. I can however set the binding path manually in the controls properties.

This seems like very basic functionality that should work right out of the box, any ideas?

Based solely on the content of that error... are you trying to programatically bind a control that did not previously have a network binding? It looks like that error is telling you that you can change the path of an existing network binding, but you can't add a new one. Can you set a dummy path for all your variables, then set the path you actually want within your program?