Master/Slave VI communication

I have an application in development that I need to have a main controlling application and several other dynamically loaded VIs ("slaves"). The main application acts as the master controller for communication and control over processes dealt to the respective dynamic VIs. Therefore, all these need to be parallel processes.

I think this application is perfect for using queues: 1 for the master VI and 1 created by the master for each of the dynamic VIs. I can then pass each dynamic VI the queue references for the master and the one created by the master for the slave VI for bidirection communication between the master and slaves. However, how is the best way to pass the queue references?

If I use a call by reference that allows inputs that can be the queues, the execution is halted for the master VI until the slave finishes. This defeats the parallel operation requirement. If I use the Run VI method and set the Wait for Finish to False, this works but I cannot pass the queue references into the slave VI.

Any thoughts/ideas?