Writing to a file doesn't look right when reading it in Terminal

I'm having an issue where I'm writing to a file on the Mac with "Write to Text File". It looks like the platform-dependent way Labview is choosing to write each line is with a Carriage Return.

If I open the file from Textedit, everything looks great.

However, if I open the file from Terminal using "vi" or "cat", then I see a ton of ^Ms in the file and there are no newlines. I believe ^M is a Carriage Return whereas I want to view the file in Linux with only Line Feeds.

Anyone know what I would have to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

-dmp

QUOTE (dmpizzle @ Jan 9 2009, 04:28 PM)

I'm having an issue where I'm writing to a file on the Mac with "Write to Text File". It looks like the platform-dependent way Labview is choosing to write each line is with a Carriage Return.

If I open the file from Textedit, everything looks great.

However, if I open the file from Terminal using "vi" or "cat", then I see a ton of ^Ms in the file and there are no newlines. I believe ^M is a Carriage Return whereas I want to view the file in Linux with only Line Feeds.

Anyone know what I would have to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

-dmp

The LabVIEW Text Write function node has a mode selection (right click pop-up menu) called "Convert EOL". When activated the function will convert each instance of LF, CR, or LF/CR into the end of line identifier for the current platform. Each platform has its own native EOL with Mac using a CR, Unix a LF and Windows CR/LF. And I think that LabVIEW for Mac OS X still uses the CR as it is really a Carbon application despite the underlying Unix kernel.

When you want to write a text with specific EOL you have to format it accordingly and disable above mentioned option in the Write Text function.

Rolf Kalbermatter