LV 7.1 Convert a Decimal String "1234567899" to an Integer equivalent

jaehov

Hey techies

I am working with a pre-existing test tool with LV 7.1

I need to convert a Decimal String "1234567899" to an Integer equivalent (no truncation or other formatting)

Essentially I want the string "1234567899" to be converted to the Integer (1234567899)

I know in LV 8 this would be a breeze with U64. But how can I perform get same result in LV 7.1 ?

thanks

The new guy on the block

QUOTE (jaehov @ Feb 14 2009, 11:02 AM)

Essentially I want the string "1234567899" to be converted to the Integer (1234567899)

I know in LV 8 this would be a breeze with U64. But how can I perform get same result in LV 7.1 ?

Umm, that number fits fine in an I32. Assuming you are really having a problem, why not use DBLs? Just because it's not limited to integers doesn't mean its a bad choice for them if U32 is too small.

QUOTE (jdunham @ Feb 15 2009, 01:22 AM)

Umm, that number fits fine in an I32. Assuming you are really having a problem, why not use DBLs? Just because it's not limited to integers doesn't mean its a bad choice for them if U32 is too small.

i actually got the number wrong, its longer than that. Try "12345678991234567899"

Without using a different data type such as a double then your only real option is to handle 64 bit integers yourself. You would have to do this by using two 32 bit integers and creating your own methods for operating on those values. this would be a non-trivial exercise but if you must have them in integer format this is one of your only real alternatives. Much more memory intensive but possibly easier to work with and more extensible would be to store each digit of the number as an element of a byte array. Again, you have to create your own methods for operating on the numbers but they would be fairly straight forward to implement. Think back to your early days of learning math.