connect to the ethernet with labview?

Hi,

I'm new here.

I checked this forum and found a few answers to my labview needs and i thank you guys (girls too).

But, i have a little problem with Ethernet connectivity with the program.

What i am trying to do is get the time from the computer send it to my circuit over the internet.

I am currently trying to do so using UDP because it seems easier.

But now, i am stuck :(.

I don't know exactly what to do in terms of reading, writing, etc.

Does anyone have an answer to my little problem?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I think we need more information before we can really give you any help. What is controlling your circuit that you are trying to communicate with? Is this a third party piece of hardware or is this something you are developing? Both ends of the communication need to be network aware so simply sending data from your computer over the network may not work. The circuit will need to be listening for the message on the appropriate port whether it is a UDP or TCP port.

As for programming the examples provided in LabVIEW for both the UDP and TCP VIs should help.

QUOTE (Mark Yedinak @ Mar 10 2009, 03:41 PM)

I think we need more information before we can really give you any help. What is controlling your circuit that you are trying to communicate with? Is this a third party piece of hardware or is this something you are developing? Both ends of the communication need to be network aware so simply sending data from your computer over the network may not work. The circuit will need to be listening for the message on the appropriate port whether it is a UDP or TCP port.

As for programming the examples provided in LabVIEW for both the UDP and TCP VIs should help.

well i am working on a digital clock that counts by itself. But every 12 hours it communicates with the computer via a ethernet mini-board (contains the ENC28j60 chip from microchip ). Therefore, i am trying to find a way through labview to copy the computer clock to my digital clock (to act like a refresh if my clock has a delay in counting).

i have labview 8.2.1 and for some reason i cant open the UDP exemples labview offers me :s

-nick

QUOTE (nickg @ Mar 10 2009, 12:24 PM)

well i am working on a digital clock that counts by itself. But every 12 hours it communicates with the computer via a ethernet mini-board (contains the ENC28j60 chip from microchip ). Therefore, i am trying to find a way through labview to copy the computer clock to my digital clock (to act like a refresh if my clock has a delay in counting).

i have labview 8.2.1 and for some reason i cant open the UDP exemples labview offers me :s

You need to see how your clock is using the Ethernet chip set. In order for it to use UDP or TCP it has to have a network stack running on it that supports the IP protocol as well as UDP and TCP protocols. If the clock is only supporting the Ethernet layer than you will not be able to communicate to it directly using LabVIEW. There is more to communicating over a network than simply pluggin a device into a network switch or hub. You need to know the specific protocols and ports being used in order to get two devices talking to each other.

As for the examples they should be available. What LabVIEW package are you using? Are you using the base LabVIEW package, the developer's suite, a student edition or an evaluation version? Not all features are available in all packages, though I thought that the basic TCP and UDP options were available in all versions.