Using .NET and getting Error 1172

post-7622-1237317801.jpg?width=400

Hello Techies

I wanted to make a reference to a .NET .dll for use in Labview.

I started out by creating a .NET Refnum control and then connecting that to a Property Node. I could see all the properties, but when I ran the VI, I got Error 1172

(see the attachment)

My 2nd idea was to use a Constructor (for the object I wanted), then connect that to the Property Node. Now this seems to work with no error.

My question is:

1) Is there a better way of referencing the dll in my VI other than using a Constructor (...then getting the properties?) or am I doing this correctly with the 2nd idea?

thanks

The Rookie

QUOTE (jaehov @ Mar 17 2009, 12:24 PM)

http://lavag.org/old_files/monthly_03_2009/post-7622-1237317801.jpg' target="_blank">post-7622-1237317801.jpg?width=400

Hello Techies

I wanted to make a reference to a .NET .dll for use in Labview.

I started out by creating a .NET Refnum control and then connecting that to a Property Node. I could see all the properties, but when I ran the VI, I got Error 1172

(see the attachment)

My 2nd idea was to use a Constructor (for the object I wanted), then connect that to the Property Node. Now this seems to work with no error.

My question is:

1) Is there a better way of referencing the dll in my VI other than using a Constructor (...then getting the properties?) or am I doing this correctly with the 2nd idea?

thanks

The Rookie

Nope, that's what you have to do. Unless you're trying to access static methods or properties, you have to instantiate the object with the constructor node before any object exists that has any methods or properties.

Mark

QUOTE (mesmith @ Mar 17 2009, 03:42 PM)

Nope, that's what you have to do. Unless you're trying to access static methods or properties, you have to instantiate the object with the constructor node before any object exists that has any methods or properties.

Mark

ok sounds good. But just out of curiosity, what did you mean by access "static" methods or properties? What Labview controls would I use then?

thanks

J

QUOTE (jaehov @ Mar 17 2009, 12:56 PM)

See this article to start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_(compu...#Static_methods

This also applies to static properties

In LabVIEW, when you browse the pulldown list of methods or properties from the .NET Property or Invoke node, the static members are preceded by . You can use the static methods or properties without first instantiating an object.

Mark