event and array

hi @ all,

3 problems: 1st - is it possible to have an event in an event structure coz my VI acting very slow - see freezes - if I do it.

2nd - If I can't use the event function how am I able to say my VI to write or not to let's say a 1D array to my 2D array on my front panel.

3rd - how can I mange it to delete that written line from that 2D array

thnx to all who solve my headache °_° - and ya I m labview newbie^^

QUOTE (marscru @ Mar 24 2009, 02:16 AM)

hi @ all,

3 problems: 1st - is it possible to have an event in an event structure coz my VI acting very slow - see freezes - if I do it.

2nd - If I can't use the event function how am I able to say my VI to write or not to let's say a 1D array to my 2D array on my front panel.

3rd - how can I mange it to delete that written line from that 2D array

thnx to all who solve my headache °_° - and ya I m labview newbie^^

1) Yes (anything is possible), but obviously you've seen the first of many consequences. Review the event programming caveats in the LabVIEW help for details and other rules. Nesting event structures is bad form I suggest you don't even think about going down that path. In fact, if you think you need more than one event structure in a given VI it's time to re-think your logic.

2) An event structure certainly be can be used to initiate this, but there's no reason to nest events.

3) I'd typically maintain a 3rd array to maintain an index set.

Also, from what your describing, assigning a row or column of a 2D array from 1D array may result in unintended padding or empty cells if the 1D array size is not constant. If you post your code with a few more operational details we may be able to provide better guidance.

As Dan mentioned it is possible but not advisable. I prefer to use a producer/consumer architecture and minimize my processing within the event structure to handling UI events and some custom events. I keep processing to a minimum. For the type of processing you are describing I generally pass that off to a parallel task that will not impact my processing of events.