Pulse width modulation (signal interpretation)

WAtoMA

Hello all,

I am a grad student in chemistry. I am in the beginning stages of understanding/utilizing Labview 6.0.

My objective is to try and update a very old Raman Spectrometer from a stepper motor driven chart recorder to a digital interface using Labview.

What I know of the signal that is received from the instrument is:

There are two signals.

One is a constant steady state signal giving me a constant pulse from a point of reference (which needs to be user defined). This will define my x-axis in wavenumbers.

The other signal is a variation signal received from a Photomultiplier tube. This signal is a voltage difference which correlates to a given intensity on my y-axis.

The VI's which I have been investigating for this purpose are of the Pulse train category.

Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track? Will the typical Generate Pulse Train.vi from the counter palette serve the needs of my project. I'm assuming I need to use

an analog input vi. Would AI Aquire Waveforms.vi be the one I need....since I am acquiring multiple signals?

Does anyone have any tips or has anyone encountered a similar project?