Access class version numbers?

I have a LVOOP based plugin architecture (ie my customer can supply different drivers in the form of LLBs depending on what hardware they ship with the software)... Now, I would like to implement a method of my base class called GetDriverVersion (or something to that effect) so that my plugin-in manager can display to the user what version of a particular driver they are using (for debugging purposes / making sure the driver matches the hardware).

This led me to thinking about the class version numbers - it seems to me to be logicial to use the class's built-in versioning so that I only have to set a number once and that number will also help with transitioning to new versions etc. However, I cant seem to find the property node (at least I would presume it is a property node somewhere). Am I looking in the wrong place / anybody have any ideas where this information may be hiding?

(oh, and whatever method I use has to be supported in the run-time engine)

Thanks,

Shaun

The property node does exist, but it doesn't work in the runtime engine.

You can get the version in a very strange way... take an instance of the class and flatten it to a string. Then read this post for instructions on how to get the version number out of the flattened string.

That's the only mechanism I can propose that will work in the runtime engine.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Apr 28 2009, 01:37 PM)

I thought of another option... you could read the XML file directly. The class version number is stored in plain text in the .lvclass file.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Apr 28 2009, 02:38 PM)

The property node does exist, but it doesn't work in the runtime engine.

You can get the version in a very strange way... take an instance of the class and flatten it to a string. Then read http://forums.lavag.org/Flattened-LVOOP-Class-t11256.html&p=47637#entry47637' target="_blank">this post for instructions on how to get the version number out of the flattened string.

I thought of another option... you could read the XML file directly. The class version number is stored in plain text in the .lvclass file.

Wow - you responded quickly - thank you very much!

That seems to have got me out of a bind, and in case it helps anyone else, attached is the VI I put together (LV 8.6).

Out of curiosity, do you know which method (file or flattened object data) would be faster / more efficient? (I'm thinking that it probably depends on how big the class file is vs how much data the current object is carrying around with it)