• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ArunSP

ArunSP

One hit wonder!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:49 AM

I have a LabVIEW project pprogrammed in LabVIEW for windows OS. Now I wanna move it to Linux. Any porting required when we move across different OS? . Whats the procedure?
Hope not much differences in Labview programming when it comes to Linux? Is there any evaluation version of LabVIEW for Linux before we purchasing license for it?

#2 Ton Plomp

Ton Plomp

How many lines per hour? Zero!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2012
  • Since:2000

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

If you don't use native Windows code (.Net, ActiveX) you can easily port your code to Linux.
Few things to mind:
  • DLL, if you have a DLL, and you have a compatible .so file you should configure the calling to use foo.* instead of foo.dll. Just place them in the same folder and the transition should be smooth.
  • Path seperators. On Linux (and Mac) there is a different path seperator (/ instead of \), if you use the build path and strip path functions there should be no problem.

I think that if you contact your local NI office you will be able to have an evaluation version of LabVIEW for Linux.

Ton

#3 Adam Kemp

Adam Kemp

Very Active

• NI
  • 78 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2011
  • Since:2003

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

Ton got the most important things to watch out for (DLLs and path formatting), but here are a few more: locations (i.e., there is no Documents and Settings, Program Files, etc.), permissions (you can't modify most files outside the user's home directory or /tmp), missing features (there are some features not supported in Linux, like Timed Loops and RT or variable hosting). Those are probably the more common porting issues.

#4 Yair

Yair

Extwemely Active

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  • Version:LabVIEW 2009
  • Since:2003

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

It should also be pointed out that not all toolkits and modules are supported in Linux.