DAQmx Error -50150 + VMWare

jgcode

Hey! Now with virtualisation coming to the forefront of application development evolution - I vote we start a LV + VMWare forum on LAVA!

Any takers...might know one :question:

Hi

My question is whether people have sucessfully run a USB DAQmx device in VMWare Player. I am having issues.

I don't install LV on the host as its not a clean unistall and I don't like to run muliple versions of LV.

Hence I love VMWare for this reason and having seperate version of LV.

But I am using a USB device on a current project and am having issues.

VM Server does not seem to pick up any USB device that is why I am using VM Player.

Details below:

NI Hardware - USB 6009

Software - VM: LV 8.5.1 & DAQmx 8.7.1 Host: LV 8.5.1 Run Time only & DAQmx 8.7.1

CPU - 2.4Ghz Quad Core. RAM - 4GB.

OS - Vista Ultimate hosting VM Ware player (latest release) running XP SP2.

I am getting a -50150 error on my USB 6009 running in VMWare

post-10325-1218240828.png?width=400

I wrote a DAQ application and then weird things started to happen [entering the twilight zone]

On the first allocation of resources (task, clock etc) everything is fine and I get normal results. At the end of collection I deallocate resources (stop DAQ and remove task vi's).

Now on a second or subsequent allocations of resources: one of my channels which is added to the task at the front, comes in on the end of the array!!

And it is reading at a weird voltage!

I then went into MAX to test panels and when I run the channel I get the -50150 error

Then MAX seems to clear it and its all ok as I can run that channel from the test panel.

So I made a build so I tested the code on the host (runtime only).

I noticed the switch over to the USB device between OS's wasn't that clean.

So I shut down the VM.

Unplugged the 6009 and plugged it back in.

The host picked up the 6009.

Then I ran my code and it was fine.

Anyone experienced this before with USB DAQmx and a VM?

I found this and this in the KB that is kinda related.

Cheers

JG

QUOTE (jgcode @ Aug 8 2008, 04:29 PM)

Anyone experienced this before with USB DAQmx and a VM?

I've not yet used any USB DAQmx hardware with VMWare on my MacBook Pro.

I did try some USB DAQmx stuff about 18 months ago with a beta of Parallels and had lots of weird problems. Basically, the only real solution was to keep the device unplugged until I needed it, plug it in, and then unplug it again and unmap/remap the serial port in Parallels every time I shut down my app. I doubt the situation is still that bad (it was a beta, after all), but that's my only data point.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Eventually I will know more about this kind of thing ;).