Hide text label in graph scale legend

I would like to hide the text label in the scale legend.

Typically LabVIEW always wants to show a text box with the axis label right next to the scaling tools (lock axis, autoscale axis toggle, and formatting buttons). I have attached a small jpeg showing just the scale legend with the two white text boxes (with in there "Time" and "Amplitude"). I was wondering if I would need Xcontrols for this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oskar

QUOTE (oskarbosch @ May 29 2009, 03:50 PM)

I would like to hide the text label in the scale legend.

Typically LabVIEW always wants to show a text box with the axis label right next to the scaling tools (lock axis, autoscale axis toggle, and formatting buttons). I have attached a small jpeg showing just the scale legend with the two white text boxes (with in there "Time" and "Amplitude"). I was wondering if I would need Xcontrols for this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oskar

Right-click on your graph indicator, choose Advanced>>Customize.

Then you can select the scale legend, move it to back and hide the axis label indicators behind the main graph. Apply changes and go back to your VI.

You should get the desired effect and it's even gonna rescale with your graph on the front panel.

Interesting suggestion. Seems kind of a work around the real issue though.

It limits where you can put the scale legend. And often we have it below the graph. Not to the right of it (where we could move the scale legend labels under the graph).

I'll see where I can use this trick.

A collegue came with these posts at ni forums:

It basically seems that this functionality was there before (Labview 7 and earlier), yet got eliminated in 8. Not sure why.

Especially as I have never used those label fields. They are always in the way.

Thanks for the tip though.

Well, there is still another way:

1. Create Graph, goto "Customize Control"

2. Then in Customize Control Window, switch to "Change to Edit Mode".

3. Select the Scale Legend Array, and then select from Pull Down Menu "Edit -> Customize Control"

4. Now you have opened another Customize Control Window, but just with the Scale Legend Array. Here you can right-click the scale-string and select to hide that string.

5. now go back, close the Customize Control Window of the scale legend, select to replace the scale legend, and voila: scale string is still hidden, just what you wanted.

If you still have access to (I think) LabVIEW 8.2, there it was possible to right-click on the scale-legend and select "Create->Reference". You then have a refnum to the scale-legend-array and now can switch on/off the visibility of the scale string during run-time. If you save a VI in 8.2 with that functionality and upgrade it to 8.6, it should still work (afaik).

I remember to have discussions and complains with my german representative why this feature was removed with the release of (I think) 8.5 (or was it 8.6? Not sure at the moment). Anyway, still angry with NI, that you cannot do it in an easy way anymore.

Jens

Perfect solution. :thumbup: Will use that. Much less work then making my own Xcontrol.... :P

I basically got as far as customize control. Did not think to select the scale legend and then select customize control again. Great tip!

Again, thanks for the tip!!! :beer:

ZITAT(oskarbosch @ May 31 2009, 08:05 PM)

I basically got as far as customize control. Did not think to select the scale legend and then select customize control again.

If I remember correctly, i detected this possibility by chance. Or was it a tutorial about a customization of the legend. I don't know anymore.

But it is really annoying, that this has become so difficult, it was so much easier in earlier versions of LabVIEW.

Jens

I ended up making three customized controls of the 3 graph types.

Now I just use those instead.

I really never have had any use for the scale legend label. It seems to add no value at all.

Putting a label there seems more confusing to the user than anything else.

Again, thanks for the tip!!!