Audio analysis in LabVIEW

Hi,

I am fairly new to LabVIEW and require some assistance. I want to be able to play a song and have LabVIEW detect the beat of the song (the lower frequency spectrum) in realtime. Every time a beat is detected, I want LabVIEW to trigger a switch of some sort. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Absolutely!

These guys did it, but replace "switch" with "fireworks"

I don't know what exactly they did, but if I were to do it I think Id:

1) Capture sound from the mic port of your computer in small sample chunks

2) Filter all the frequencies out that I didn't care about

3) Trigger off that

Alternatively,

1) Capture sound from the mic port of your computer in small sample chunks

2) FFT

3) Trigger off specific frequencies in that

Heck, if you made a youtube account and messaged them about your project, I'll bet they'd even email you the VI they used ;)

Edit: They have a blog, see "Beat Detection Method" under their July 3rd post for links.

http://waterloolabs.blogspot.com/

Hugs,

memoryleak

Thanks very much for the help! I obtained the LabVIEW program from Waterloo Labs and everything works great up until the point when I try to output to the data acquisition device. The acquisition device they used in their LabVIEW program was a NI USB-6009. However, the one I have is a PCI-6251.

When I try running their program, I get an error saying that the device I'm trying to output to is incompatible and I think it is because they used a different acquisition device.

Since I am fairly new to LabVIEW, I am not sure how I can modify the program so that it outputs to the PCI-6251 device instead of trying to output to a USB-6009 acquisition device. I think I have to edit the "Write to Card.vi" but I don't know what changes I need to make.

The way I normally use the PCI-6251 device is I right-click in LabVIEW, choose Express --> Output --> DAQ Assist. However, I am having difficulties wiring that device to work with their LabVIEW program.

As memoryleak said, their program is located at http://waterloolabs.blogspot.com/. Here's the link to the LabVIEW program they used: http://decibel.ni.co...usic%20Sync.zip

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by infinitbelt

I think it is absolutely we can replace PCI DAQ to USB DAQ, if the I/O usage can meet your requirement. Firstly, you may try to find what is the alias name of your 6251, then go to block diagram change the 6009's alias name to your 6251's name. you can find the alias name in MAX. Please make sure how many Analog, Digtal I/O you indeed need.