OpenG Builder & the Version vi

1. I've been unsuccessfully trying to use the Version.vi option using OpenG Builder. I got it working briefly several months ago but I can't remember exactly what I did. As I recall the Version.vi front panel control default value should be set with the latest version information. I think I've set up correctly but for some reason it's not working. The version text file is being updated correctly. Any ideas why the built Version.vi isn't obtaining the version info? (This is especially embarrassing as I gave a LUG presentation on OGB a couple months ago and now I can't get it to work! blink.gif )

post-7603-12500181501_thumb.png

post-7603-125001815081_thumb.png

2. Is there some super-secret magic needed to get the version New... button to create a version vi for me?. I've tried several different things but nothing is ever created and no errors pop up. The dialog box just silently closes.

3. It would be nice to automatically incorporate the latest version info in the package when I build using OpenG Package Builder. There doesn't appear to be a way to automatically hook into the package information with scripts, which leads me to believe I need to either grab the ogpb file from the source directory (or maybe the temp directory) or wrap the package building process in another vi. Is there an easier way I'm missing?

1. I've been unsuccessfully trying to use the Version.vi option using OpenG Builder. I got it working briefly several months ago but I can't remember exactly what I did. As I recall the Version.vi front panel control default value should be set with the latest version information. I think I've set up correctly but for some reason it's not working. The version text file is being updated correctly. Any ideas why the built Version.vi isn't obtaining the version info? (This is especially embarrassing as I gave a LUG presentation on OGB a couple months ago and now I can't get it to work! blink.gif )

there is one mayor 'trick':

the VI needs to be part of the build (don't exclude it) and be writable.

2. Is there some super-secret magic needed to get the version New... button to create a version vi for me?. I've tried several different things but nothing is ever created and no errors pop up. The dialog box just silently closes.

The new 'instances' feature of 8.x is a problem for the current released edition... You can edit the dialog box.

Just hit ctrl-. in the main window and look for the correct VI, maybe you can fix this.

3. It would be nice to automatically incorporate the latest version info in the package when I build using OpenG Package Builder. There doesn't appear to be a way to automatically hook into the package information with scripts, which leads me to believe I need to either grab the ogpb file from the source directory (or maybe the temp directory) or wrap the package building process in another vi. Is there an easier way I'm missing?

You could use a pre-build script VI in the OGPB to get the actual build verion.

Ton

there is one mayor 'trick':

the VI needs to be part of the build (don't exclude it) and be writable.

I've checked that. That's not it.

The new 'instances' feature of 8.x is a problem for the current released edition... You can edit the dialog box.

Just hit ctrl-. in the main window and look for the correct VI, maybe you can fix this.

I found a bug that was causing the problem, but I don't have any idea what effect my "fix" would have on anything else. I started a thread over on the OpenG forum with the details.

You could use a pre-build script VI in the OGPB to get the actual build verion.

I could use a prebuild script to read the version info from the version text file, but I don't see a way to link back to the package build config file to update the build information there. I was hoping for a way to dynamically figure out which build spec is being executed so I don't have to create unique scripts for each package.