slightly annoying bit about Making an executrable

TG

This is probably an easy fix but I have yet to figure it out. I build a rather large executable and all is well except for one labVIEW library that allows some access to excel using automation. It was written by a nice gentleman who made it available on the web. I cannot remember his name anymore. Anyway, I use his Vi's to get simple access to Excel sheets in a workbook. The builder seems to never be able to find the path to 'excel objectRepository.vi' I have tried to add to LabVIEW .INI and also have included the library in the 'always include' field before compiling. But for some reason it never finds it. Actually, that is not totally true, on some rare occasions it actually finds the file but probably because I am building more than once in the same LabVIEW session I would think. Anyway I wish I could make some change to the Build file so that this file would always be included. Mind you it is not a showstopper but I would like to know the actual reason for this issue. I think the file is read only or password protected. Is that the reason it cannot be added to the build list? ANy similar experiences with APP builder LV 8.5.1?

Is the 'excel objectRepository.vi' in your project directory somewhere? And does it need a .dll to operate and is that in the project directory as well? I can't explain why but, if my memory serves me correctly I encountered a similar problem a while back and that is how I fixed it.

Is the 'excel objectRepository.vi' in your project directory somewhere? And does it need a .dll to operate and is that in the project directory as well? I can't explain why but, if my memory serves me correctly I encountered a similar problem a while back and that is how I fixed it.

Good thinking PaulG. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Just thinking out loud now.

If being in the project directory somewhere means I can see it in my project displays the answer is yes I can see the repository file in the labVIEW library in the project view in a virtual folder but I will double check to see if it needs to be another type like populated.

Since its password protected it may indeed use some windows DLL.

I don't think LabVIEW's interface to excel uses a DLL but then again?

I would surmise that the automation services provided by LabVIEW simply use the Active X services

available in the server (Excel 2003) through some common interface like COM. That is as far as my understanding goes concerning COM. :)

The best lead so far is that the dll (or the path to it) must be inside the password protected repository vi

I guess I should be including a link to this dll if I can figure out what it is and where it is.