Internet toolkit - FTP Get File.vi error

Hello all,

Dev platform: LV 8.2

I'm looking for workarounds to known bugs in NI's Internet toolkit.

Issue: When using "FTP Get File.vi" an error is returned (see attachment).

And of course, when I try this MANUALLY from the same machine, all works.

In advance, thank you for the support.

Cheers,

edp

PD - I've posted this question to NI's forum as well, and so far I have not seen/received a response/solution to help me get past this.

post-14457-125804189244_thumb.jpg

Let me proove my network protocol ignorance (not like it needs anymore proof :) ) - what is IP address 10.xx.xx.xx ? Is that the same as "localhost"?

In a classful network, 10.xx.xx.xx is a class A network with 2^24 nodes and a netmask of 255.0.0.0.

10.xx.xx.xx and 192.168.xx.xx are reserved for private network use (not connected to the public internet).

In a classful network, 10.xx.xx.xx is a class A network with 2^24 nodes and a netmask of 255.0.0.0.

10.xx.xx.xx and 192.168.xx.xx are reserved for private network use (not connected to the public internet).

That's what I thought. So wouldn't that mean an IP address of "10.xx.xx.xx" that uses the real "x" strings" is actually invalid? The FTP VIs wouldn't be able to reslove the IP address that contains alpha characters.

I'm looking for workarounds to known bugs in NI's Internet toolkit.

I'd also be careful of calling them "known bugs" unless you know that they are, ummm, known bugs. Do you have a reference to where they're listed as known bugs?

That's what I thought. So wouldn't that mean an IP address of "10.xx.xx.xx" that uses the real "x" strings" is actually invalid? The FTP VIs wouldn't be able to reslove the IP address that contains alpha characters.

nitulandia writes:

Note that in the attached .jpg I posted, the IP address is shown as 10.xx.xx.xx indeed, however, this is just an example as I did not want to publish the actual IP address of the server. "Localhost" is the IP address, or name of host (if defined in the host table) you're trying to connect to.

The IP address input to the FTP Get File.vi needs to look like e.g. 192.168.1.5, 10.1.1.2, etc

<br>I'd also be careful of calling them "known bugs" unless you know that they are, ummm, known bugs. Do you have a reference to where they're listed as known bugs?<br>

I've came across some notes on NI's website. Let me see if I can put those links here (need to find them...)

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=429321

This makes reference to the tcputil.llb, which is the same one used by the FTP Get File.vi

Edited by nitulandia

Yes, it would cause an error. I assumed that the poster was sanitizing the image uploaded, but then I noticed that 'anonymous' was incorrectly spelled 'anonymus'. That could also cause an error :P

Yes, it would cause an error. I assumed that the poster was sanitizing the image uploaded, but then I noticed that 'anonymous' was incorrectly spelled 'anonymus'. That could also cause an error :P

You guys are rough! yes, I mispelled anonymous. I did not want to publish the username.

Regardless, thanks for looking at the posts, and replies.

You guys are rough!

:D We're thorough

OK, so error 1059 is "LabVIEW: Unexpected file type.", so maybe the file path that you're looking for isn't resolving properly.

That said, error 66 is "LabVIEW: The network connection was closed by the peer." so it looks like the connection might be being refused for some reason.

:D We're thorough

OK, so error 1059 is "LabVIEW: Unexpected file type.", so maybe the file path that you're looking for isn't resolving properly.

You are right, but 1xxx errors are of the LabVIEW environment type errors (think VI Server, scripting etc.) so I really wonder how that could get into FTP VIs where simple File IO is handled. I haven't looked at the FTP Vis in ages as I use my own library but maybe they use VI Server for some reentrant calls or something in there???

That said, error 66 is "LabVIEW: The network connection was closed by the peer." so it looks like the connection might be being refused for some reason.

With FTP this could mean that the login was not successful.

You are right, but 1xxx errors are of the LabVIEW environment type errors (think VI Server, scripting etc.) so I really wonder how that could get into FTP VIs where simple File IO is handled. I haven't looked at the FTP Vis in ages as I use my own library but maybe they use VI Server for some reentrant calls or something in there???

With FTP this could mean that the login was not successful.

When I do this manually (you have to enter the user name, password, etc) all works.

Using LabVIEW VI's I've been successful at login, change directories, etc, however, the "GET action" is the one generating the error.

This is what I've posted at NI's forum: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=455231

Edited by nitulandia
You are right, but 1xxx errors are of the LabVIEW environment type errors (think VI Server, scripting etc.) so I really wonder how that could get into FTP VIs where simple File IO is handled.

Whilst they are usually thorwn by envorinment nodes, they can be thrown by anything - I use errors in that range all the time to represent errors thrown by my code and if I don't want to reserve a user code range.

Whilst they are usually thorwn by envorinment nodes, they can be thrown by anything - I use errors in that range all the time to represent errors thrown by my code and if I don't want to reserve a user code range.

I agree but I was not aware that the FTP VIs would use that range. After all they are from NI and I would hope they do not clash there. ( I know they clash elsewhere!)

But since the VIs are in source code and without passwords, the best person to really go after that problem is the OP himself. A bit of single stepping and debugging will surely show the offending operation.