Workspace window (control)

GoGators

I have a need for a workspace in an application I am making. I was wondering if anyone has done this, or has some basic ideas. A workspace is similar to the concept of a subpanel, except you can insert multiple VIs into it, and they can float around on their own. The best way to put it is like excel. You can view many spreadsheets simultaneously in the workspace, but they cannot leave the workspace. The sheets can be minimized but they still exist inside the workspace.

I have a need for a workspace in an application I am making. I was wondering if anyone has done this, or has some basic ideas.

Done it heaps of times - used a combination of user32.dll calls to parent items to a workspace window (look for the SetParent function), and templates + scripting to dynamically create the items and their components.

The link looks broken. I have reported it to the moderator. Any chance you could repost.

Done it heaps of times - used a combination of user32.dll calls to parent items to a workspace window (look for the SetParent function), and templates + scripting to dynamically create the items and their components.

Any chance you have a bit of code that could demonstrate it? If not I'll start digging around.

The reparenting functions in the Win32 API are very simple (they basically just need the handles of the parent and child windows which you can easily get using the window name or even some private properties in LV), but there are some gotchas. If you search both here (although here the search sucks and many of the old attachments are missing) and in the NI forums for "MDI" or "parent window" you should find some examples, as well as some details.

The reparenting functions in the Win32 API are very simple (they basically just need the handles of the parent and child windows which you can easily get using the window name or even some private properties in LV), but there are some gotchas. If you search both here (although here the search sucks and many of the old attachments are missing) and in the NI forums for "MDI" or "parent window" you should find some examples, as well as some details.

Thanks for the MDI search term. As soon as I had the name so many more forums were useful. I guess I like this one best since the first example is simplest:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=113425&query.id=1089553#M113425