Release of Serial RS232 com port

Bjarne Joergensen

Hi

I got a sequencer programmet in LV that call a VI that use COM1 to communicate to a divice with LVs serial functions.

My question is: When I use the function "close" has LV totaly released the COM port?

I ask because the sequencer call another VI that call a .net app that use the same COM port and the first time I call that VI I got an error!

Is it normal behaviour?

best regards Bjarne

Hi

I got a sequencer programmet in LV that call a VI that use COM1 to communicate to a divice with LVs serial functions.

My question is: When I use the function "close" has LV totaly released the COM port?

I ask because the sequencer call another VI that call a .net app that use the same COM port and the first time I call that VI I got an error!

Is it normal behaviour?

best regards Bjarne

I've never had any problem with Labview releasing a serial port. I spend a lot of time switching between LV and Hyperterminal while developing serial instrument drivers and as long as I close the connections it works great.

Get a copy of Portmon from Microsoft and use it to capture serial port events. It will tell you WAY more about serial port communicaton that you want to know. But it will tell you if the port is being used by another program and if it's getting closed correctly.

http://technet.micro...s/bb896644.aspx

I've never had any problem with Labview releasing a serial port. I spend a lot of time switching between LV and Hyperterminal while developing serial instrument drivers and as long as I close the connections it works great.

Get a copy of Portmon from Microsoft and use it to capture serial port events. It will tell you WAY more about serial port communicaton that you want to know. But it will tell you if the port is being used by another program and if it's getting closed correctly.

http://technet.micro...s/bb896644.aspx

Hi Eric

Thank youthumbup1.gif

I haven't got the problem either when I switch between LV and hyperterminal, but it is when I call another .exe via .not from LV that use the same COM-port at as LV just had closed.

I vill try to monitor the COM-port with Portmon.

regards Bjarne

Edited by Bjarne Joergensen