Maxima and Octave

JasonXCX

I've used Maxima for few times to perform some sybolic calculations (mainly differenciation of matrix equations) and it went quite smootly. I didn't use Mapple, so I can't compare them.

Not so long ago I used Scilab a lot. It's open source Matlab-like environment with Scicos component which is Simulink equivalent. Syntax is really similar to Matlab, there are even some tools to convert programs between them. Very stable and mature environment, a lot of free toolboxes, very good and easy visualization and interface building (tk based). Scicos was also good, but its interface was quite not comfortable. I monitor this project periodically and I see that a lot changed since I used it last time and now it seems to be even better. But now I use LV for everthing...

I've used Maxima for few times to perform some sybolic calculations (mainly differenciation of matrix equations) and it went quite smootly. I didn't use Mapple, so I can't compare them.

Not so long ago I used Scilab a lot. It's open source Matlab-like environment with Scicos component which is Simulink equivalent. Syntax is really similar to Matlab, there are even some tools to convert programs between them. Very stable and mature environment, a lot of free toolboxes, very good and easy visualization and interface building (tk based). Scicos was also good, but its interface was quite not comfortable. I monitor this project periodically and I see that a lot changed since I used it last time and now it seems to be even better. But now I use LV for everthing...

thank you I will have a try with Scilab and Maxima